News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silkspan on wingtips tip  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Tom Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Silkspan on wingtips tip
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
Dennis said in another post:

For doing tips we used to do this when we were a lot younger. Dope by itself is too slow to grab and hold the covering material in place so we used to mix Duco cement in a 50/50 ratio with the clear. Now to clarify this we only made up a little amount of this as we only used it to hold down really stubborn spots. It also worked great on undercambered wings. The weight was really negligable and it did sand out nicely.

When using Silkspan I need a third hand.  Since I can't seem to grow one I use BULLDOG paper clips to hold tension on the Silkspan.  I attach one to the overhanging Silkspan then attach another one to the first and so on until enough weight has been added to hold tension until the dope is dry enough to remove them.

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Silkspan on wingtips tip
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
Tom, I to am third arm impared, thanks for a good tip.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:26:52 PM »
You can forgo the glue/dope mix by just using "Fabric Cement" from your local aircraft supply store or homebuilder's supply store, like Aircraft Spruce. That's what it's for, actually. Randolph should be compatible with SIG and Brodak dopes. I've known a few guys who used this stuff for all construction. It's much like Duco or "Tarzan's Grip", for Ozzies. Smells the same!  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:43:33 PM »
For you third arm impaired individuals: Buy one!

Get one of those paint stands you see here and mount the A/C in the paint stand when carving, sanding, covering, painting, etc.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
A little HELP PLEASE

Thats a good idea(BUY ONE). Is there a special place to do just that. I'm not trying to be funny, I really DON'T KNOW.

I've been looking at the stand Robert is using to hold his P-47.

Bill Gruby HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:24 PM »
The stand is available from Byron Barker, I do not have his contact info.
AMA 12366

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 06:46:09 PM »
Info: Byron Barker

C.F. Slattery
  2101 Logan Ave.
  New Albany, In. 47150
ph. 812-948-9167
fax 812-948-0758
e-mail: linecontr@aol.com
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 07:20:08 PM »
Thanks a bunch, will check it out.

Bill Gruby y1 y1 y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 11:29:34 AM »
Dennis said in another post:

For doing tips we used to do this when we were a lot younger. Dope by itself is too slow to grab and hold the covering material in place so we used to mix Duco cement in a 50/50 ratio with the clear. Now to clarify this we only made up a little amount of this as we only used it to hold down really stubborn spots. It also worked great on undercambered wings. The weight was really negligable and it did sand out nicely.

Great minds always think alike  ;D I use spring clip clothes pins for weight. As to buying something special from Aircraft Spruce etc. Why? The solution I've been using for 40 years works fine, and if it works don't fix it.
Covering with silk and dope  or silkspan has over the years become for me second nature. The same is true for most of the older modellers on the forum. We all have our favorite methods to achieve the results we want, Thats the most important thing, satisfactory results ,not just good enough. AP^

When using Silkspan I need a third hand.  Since I can't seem to grow one I use BULLDOG paper clips to hold tension on the Silkspan.  I attach one to the overhanging Silkspan then attach another one to the first and so on until enough weight has been added to hold tension until the dope is dry enough to remove them.

AP^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »
Lots of good information here.

I think I have finally come to the understanding as to why I (personally) like to use Nitrate instead of butyrate for covering with silkspan.  It is just so much more "sticky"!  I never thought about it much, I have just (subconsciously, I guess) done it...............

I work the nitrate in with my "size 21 fingers" around the edges applying more as necessary and gently pulling the wet silkspan down and around until I work out all the wrinkles and it is stuck.  Sometimes it is quicker than others!  But I have just never done as good with butyrate as I do with nitrate.  All a matter of personal preferences I guess!  y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
I have been using close pins to weight down the free edge of the silkspan over the wing tip for a long time now. you can get it nice and tight and wrinkle free.  It works really well.

Dave

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Bruce Shipp

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
One each, plain white glue stick.  Tucks tose errant corners done very well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here