News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silkspan - Help Needed  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Silkspan - Help Needed
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »
Hi Guys,

Up to now I've always covered my models in Nylon (you don't have to ask why), and this time around I decided to try Silkspan, to save some weight as much as any other reason.

I saw the previous thread http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1274.msg8378#msg8378 on this subject, but it doesn't explain the problems I've been having.

1) Blisters '???'
2) How do I cover around corners/edges (e.g. flap LE/TE). It just doesn't seem to want to stick. When I gave up there was more dope/thinner on me that there was on the airframe.

I have to say it's given me nothing but heartache, and in the length of time it's taken me to do the flaps and tail feathers I'd have covered 2 similar sized models in Nylon and tissue.

The blisters were a real pain as they were HUGE, relative to anything I've experienced before.

Help!
IRL-1638

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Silkspan - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
Sounds to me if the silkspan is old. If so replace with new. When it is put on wet it lays right down. Sticks easy with 50/50 dope. No blisters. I have never heard of such a thing.
AMA 12366

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
Sounds to me if the silkspan is old. If so replace with new. When it is put on wet it lays right down. Sticks easy with 50/50 dope. No blisters. I have never heard of such a thing.

I was thinking just the opposite - that he might be having issues with the
new "silkspan" that really isn't. I've never had this sort of problem with silkspan out of 60-year-old kits. Usually the only thing that goes wrong with it is it gets too floppy and soft from UV.

But I would think any sort of paper, even the new kind of "faux" silkspan would have no problem at all going around corners and sticking, as long as it was wet.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 09:17:25 PM »
Since I am the proverbial blind squirrel, I always apply any grade of silkspan wet.  On all areas.  I use Nitrate as Ty mentioned for my substrate, and a 50/50 mix of Nitrate to stick it down, usually lifting and doping then sticking it back down.  Pull you silkspan taunt, and go to the opposite side of the panel you covered as soon as possible.  NEVER put the wet silkspan on one side of a wing and let it dry.  ALWAYS go straight to the other side as soon as you have stuck one side down.  I start on the bottom of the outside wing then do the top of the outside wing.  Doing the bottom first helps to hide the overlap better since I trim the SP just below the center of the LE.  I even mist the bottom to help both sides dry evenly.  Otherwise you are inviting warps.

YMMV.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:43:25 PM »
Thanks Brett and Bill I fergot ta mention those two important items.  Brett mentioned the so called modern silkspan.  If you have stuff older than, oh, 8 years, it is more than likely the good stuff that K&S used to sell.  The newer stuff just seem to be nondirectional, yet is, but is hard to apply.  It will go on but with lots of patience.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where to get the good kind any more?  I have a fair bit of good-type 00, but I think I am going to want some GM in the near future.

Brett

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm ready to start on the wing and fus now

Chris
IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:29:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Finally got back to the model to finish the covering, with a print out of this thread in my hand. I followed  all the advice  carefully and the silkspan went on like a dream. Just tidying up now and I'm delighted with how the covering went this time around, and how the whole airframe is looking.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom

IRL-1638

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here