News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Mustang Stunt  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Tom Dugan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sig Mustang Stunt
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »
Came upon to good a deal for a Sig Mustang Stunt...couldn't pass it up.  I have read some threads on construction of the Sig Magnum but couldn't find anything on the Mustang.

Does anyone know of any information/threads about construction of the Mustang Stunt?

Thanks...Thomas

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Sig Mustang Stunt
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »
I have one myself, and will be building it after the online build project. I have been told that it flys pretty good if you replace the plastic pieces with wood. Replace the heavy wood. And core the wings. I am sure there are other improvements that can be made.

I was also going to sheet my wing with 1/20th instead of the 1/16th, and not use the blue contact cement that was recommended in the instructions. 

hope this helps, happy building

Greg

Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 11:05:52 AM »
Hi Thomas,
About 10 years ago, we scratch built one of the Mustangs using Jim Lee's modifications.  It is a good flying plane. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:24:49 PM »
The Mustang stunter is a cool plane, but somewhat dated and the kit builds extremely heavy.  The small wing + excessive weight = undesirable.   If you replace most all the kit wood, substitute wood for the plastic, core the wings, stretch the tail and stretch the stab/elev and it'll fly well. 

We built two, the first came out extremely heavy and does basic maneuves (wingovers and loops) but anything more serious (overheads) isn't possible.  The second has all the usual modifications and then some and it's never been finished.  With a 35-40FP it's overpowered, and its really too heavy for a Fox 35. 

It's a neat kit, but I've seen a bunch of them built that didn't amount to anything. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »
I had two of the Mustang Stunters.  The first one was lost because i mounted bellcrank according to instructions.  The second one was built using modified bellcrank mount.   The bellcrank was centered on a bolt more than long enough to go thru the wing and plywood pads.  The pads were on the top and bottom surface of the wing.  The first one was 41 ounces, the second was close to 45 with heavier finish.  Did not core either one and they were more than capable of doing the pattern.  Power of course was the old standby Fox 35 Stunt.   Later, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:13:31 AM »
I'd second Andrew on this one.  A pretty looking design, but usually way too heavy for pleasant flying.  If you can build it down around 40 oz. it should do well, even without any aerodynamic mods.
phil Cartier

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »
Is the Sig Mustang kit still avaliable? I could not find it on the Sig web site.
Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 12:28:25 PM »
Nope
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
The kit is out of production, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time. I have seen them go for anywhere from $200, I was in on that bid, and escaped) to as little as $60.

good luck in your hunt

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:08:02 PM »
Great to read about weight problems, now that I finished the partly built one somebody gave me.  Guess I'll have to weigh mine now.  It actually has a Super Tigre 35S in it.  I'll be curious to see how it flies.  The comment about the bellcrank mounting has me worried, though.
Tony

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:48:23 AM »
FWIW I never had a problem with the bellcrank mount, built according to the plan it has stood up just fine.  I probably wouldn't do another that way, but it never failed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here