News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:32:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Dope, Aero Gloss, Coverite, Lustre Kote.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Dope, Aero Gloss, Coverite, Lustre Kote.
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:01:59 AM »
I have an old plane, a Magician, someone gave me which is well doped with clear dope but without color.  There is nothing covering the wing.  I plan to cover that with Monokote.

For the rest of it I want to use spray "dope" which I have on hand.

1.     I have some Coverite Spray Dark Blue which I would like to use on the fuselage.  I also have some Coverite Primer.  Will it work to spray these over the dope?  I suspect that it's Aero Gloss. 

I did spay a blue test spot and it seemed to be alright.  However,  I'm thinking of putting on a coat of primer first.

2.    I want to make the elevator and stabilizer yellow.  I have some spray Sig Supercoat and some spray Top Flite Lustre Coat.  Has anyone sprayed those on top of clear dope?   Aero Gloss, or Sig.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Sig Dope, Aero Gloss, Coverite, Lustre Kote.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:33 AM »
I can not tell you about the Coverite primer or blue paint, as I do not know what they are for sure. I am just guessing on them, but I would think it would work fine. Almost anything will go over Aerogloss, but not the other way around. I would wet sand with 400 grit wet or dry before painting to give it some tooth. You should have no trouble with Sig Supercoat, or Lustercote, over Aerogloss, or Sig Supercoat. Do go slow at first to see how it reacts though, as sometimes stuff happens. Oh! By the way, Magicians are way cool planes. I am finishing my 4th.
Jim Kraft

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
My spys tell me you can't put Dope (Sig, Brodak, etc) over Lustre-Cote... ''

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
I now know that the clear on the pane is Aero Gloss.   I only want to put other dope over it,  either Lustre Kote or Sig for the yellow and Coverite for the blue.

Actually,  I just found this on Tower Hobbies Web Site.  It answers my questions about it.  I should be able to use it.  Coverite is a brand of film.

21st Century Model Paint is a High Gloss, Fuelproof Paint Specially
         Formulated to Match 21st Century Film and Fabric Coverings.

FEATURES: Can be used on Film, Fabric, Wood, Metal and Many Plastics (ABS, Styrene, Lexan, Acetate, etc.) Tough, Lightweight and Fuelproof (up to 15% Raw Nitro or any spent fuel), Stands Up To Years of Nitro and Gasoline Exposure. Acrylic Lacquer Based Formula offers the same High-Gloss Shine as 21st Century Coverings. Patented Nozzle may be Rotated to Change Spray Angle.

INCLUDES: One 11oz Can of 21st Century Hi-Gloss Dark Blue Paint.

REQUIRES: 21st Century Primer for a Base Coat.

COMMENTS: 21st Century is NOT SAFE FOR FOAM. 21st Century is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER PAINT. In order to get a true match between 21st Century Paint and the 21st Century Coverings, you must use 21st Century Primer as a Base Coat. Nitrate Dope should be used on Fabrics before applying 21st Century Paint.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here