News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:54:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Showing A Little Snout! The LOSER.  (Read 788 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Showing A Little Snout! The LOSER.
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »
Thought I'd open a new Thread on the LOSER's snout. Possibly share some info and other's info on shapping model snouts. :##

I'm sure it's not every day someone takes a profile model then builds a "built up" fuselage around it? Well, a scratch built one anyway.

Nothing really complicated but possibly a tad different than having a solid block set up and sanded to the likes of the spinner, as is the typical construction methods.

In this case, because I'm using stringers over formers to shape the fuselage, I need two things. I need a plywood nose ring and a ring of balsa behind it, recessed in diameter, to except the thickness of the stringers. Plus, glue works better with balsa to balsa? CA?

Accomplished easily actually. Rough cut plywood nose ring and oversize balsa ring, both .125'' thick.

Ten minutes of eyeball sanding and the ply nose ring is shaped. Adhesive backed sand paper on a metal rule sands away the balsa to the dept needed behind the ply nose ring to except fuselage stringers.

The balsa nose ring is glued in place, but the ply nose ring is not epoxied in place as of yet. The nose ring will be epoxied after all fuselage stringers are put in place.

The ply ring doesn't move during sanding because it's sandwitched between sandpaper.

I have only one spinner and elect not to scratch it up while shaping the rings. So, I have a donor backplate that I'm using for this.

The spinner backplate is wrapped with copper tape. Works much better than masking tape, which would have to be replaced a few times.

Here's my efforts to date while I wait for custom HDWE from Tom Morris.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Showing A Little Snout! The LOSER.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
Where do you get the copper tape? I still have a little bit of lead tape, but of course you can't buy it anymore. Nice stuff for putting a bit more flex into a CF fishing rod that's too stiff to cast a light lure. Gots to "load the tip".  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
Where do you get the copper tape? I still have a little bit of lead tape, but of course you can't buy it anymore. Nice stuff for putting a bit more flex into a CF fishing rod that's too stiff to cast a light lure. Gots to "load the tip".  8) Steve

Steve,

The art stain glass builders use it. i.e. leaded glass. They take a strip and place it around each piece of glass then solder them together.

This tape is sticky back. Available at any craft store or on line. Stain glass supplies.

Charles 
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
We used to use that stuff to make road race tracks back in the day!  1/24th and 1/32nd.  Love those days. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here