News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:04:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheeting foam wings  (Read 969 times)

Offline John E Rakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sheeting foam wings
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:46:34 AM »
This weekend I should be ready to sheet the wings on my built up Cardinal 40. I am going to use oderless ca, and was wondering a pattern I should use as I lay the ca down. Should I use a zig zag pattern down the sheeting or try to evenly spread quickly, I am using medium thick ca. I did that years ago zig zag, but did have a couple places where it lifted between the zig and zag. Should I put the ca on the wood or foam, I think I put on the wood last time. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Sheeting foam wings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:09:42 AM »
If I may, John, I'd really like to persuade you that CyA is not the way to go. Epoxy is much better, at least partially because it has some flex, which the CyA's do not. I believe it makes a stronger bond, too, and is probably lighter if done properly.

First, make your "Epoxy Spreading Tool". I use expired credit cards, and saw a thin kerf with a hacksaw blade every 1/4". The best way to apply epoxy for sheeting wings is to first edge-join the wing skins (naturally), and sand smooth on both sides. Then choose which side is to be "inside" (next to the foam), and spray a light coat of Aquanet® Hair Spray (thank you Bob Hunt). When that has dried, thoroughly mix a batch of 45-minute epoxy. Pour a small amount on the wing skin, and spread it out with the "Spreading Tool". The object is to remove as much epoxy as possible, without actually getting down to the balsa. Each of the 4 wing surfaces will require about 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz. of epoxy. Then lay a sheet of wax paper down on the saddle, position the skin on the wing and place the assembly back in the "saddle" (the empty piece of foam left when you remove the core). Place the other saddle on top and start adding weights. Books work, or a piece of plywood topped with full paint cans, sections of railroad rail, whatever. Let it cure overnight.

My 2¢ worth . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
Go to Tom Dixon's website.  He explains how to sheet a wing using CA.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Ditto what Crist says... that said if you do consider the epoxy direction also give some thought to polyurathane glues used just like epoxy.    They work really well except for foaming as they cure that is an issue if you use too much glue and skip the wax paper on the cradles.  (Ask me sometime about the beautiful balsa covered foam wing sealed inside foam cradles....)
Bob Furr

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
Bob!
Please tell me you're kidding!  (And don't ask me about the light spakkling compound that did the same thing when applied to repair a mold buck and then the balsa molded around it without the wax paper.)
I have absolutely NO idea what that might be talking about! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~> HB~> HB~>
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here