News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch Building??  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Scratch Building??
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »
I've decided after all these years to try scratch building a plane from plans. Is there any information, books, videos, post on forums that would give hints for a beginner scratch builder.
Pehaps a Scratch Builder section on this forum would be of some intrest to enough people to start it. Really hate to ask Spary to do that at this time since he has his hands full with the on line magazine and all he has done so far. Just an idea for the future.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Scratch Building??
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
I've decided after all these years to try scratch building a plane from plans. Is there any information, books, videos, post on forums that would give hints for a beginner scratch builder.
Pehaps a Scratch Builder section on this forum would be of some intrest to enough people to start it. Really hate to ask Spary to do that at this time since he has his hands full with the on line magazine and all he has done so far. Just an idea for the future.

Hi Jerry,

Building from plans is the same as building a kit, except you make the parts for the kit yourself!  The best advice is to be careful in making those parts since they will be the ultimate outcome of your own efforts.  Take you time, and do it.  It just takes longer sice you have to cut everything yourself.

Tracing the parts using carbon paper, measuring and marking, cutting out the plans patterns, etc., are all methods of making your parts.  Iti isn't "hard" to do.....

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »
Jerry: I go to Kinko's and copy the plans and use the copy to cut up the patterns. The Kinko's here in town charges .75 per sq. ft. and the copy's are great.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »
Thanks for the good advice. I think my challange will be in balsa selection and figuring out a bulk of what is needed for a one time complete order. Now I understand why some of the longtime builders talk about have a large selection on hand.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »
Jerry,

Two things. I collect wood all the time. I buy from Lone Star and National Balsa but I also check out the local craft stores. Sometimes thay have some good stuff. When selecting wood, don't just use the lightest you  can get. Match the wood to the function. A chunk of 3lb stock is very light but doesn't make a very good stabilizer (for instance)..

The other thing is, copying the plans at a copy shop (I use the local UPS store because at least here they are a lot cheaper than Kinkos...a lot). That is a very good suggestions. Cut up the templates like fuse sides and use them to cut your parts. Be precise and take your time and the final product will be something you will be proud ot.

And don't be afraid to ask quesitons. Here or of the local builders. It beats trial and error.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:05:22 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:24:41 AM »
HEY RANDY
"And do be afraid to ask quesitons. Here or of the local builders. It beats trial and error.  "
 sheesh are you trying to scare him away,
I think he meant DONT be afraid, lol

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »
Now I am scared, think I may buy an ARF and un-build it first.
Thank for the tips
There is a new hobby shop in my town "Eagles Nest" (affliated with Ace Hobbies) it's truley a mom and pop store, very pleasant experienced older owners. Reminds me of hobby shops in the 50's. They carry a big selection of Sig and another brand of balsa I never heard of. I will get the name and post it to see if anyone has heard of it. I looked at several pieces, seemed OK, had a slightly darker look to it than most balsa I have ever seen.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Scratch building isn't too difficult as long as you start with something simple. For example, it's a lot easier to make a set of ribs for a constant cord wing than a tapered one. I would suggest buying a kit of something simple (Flight Streak, Skyray 35, Twister, etc) and use the kit parts as templates to make a set of parts for a second airplane. Building the kit will teach you a lot about how the design goes together and you'll probably get some ideas for improvements that can be incorporated into the second model.

As far as going to a copy center and getting a second set of plans, that is an excellent idea. Assuming the use a laser printer, you can use an iron to transfer the parts outlines to your wood.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 07:27:19 PM »
Got through the plan and make up a list of materials needed.  This will make you look fairly carefully at the plan, which is good.  Then make up a flow chart of what to build when.  Again, this will make you look closely at the plans and will save you the irritation of having to unbuild something because your forgot a step.  Been there, done that!  I usually do the stab and elevator first to get something finished and feel like I have made progress. 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:09:18 PM »
Mark,

Yea, yea. Nailed for a typo. I fixed it.

Man, you can't anything by that guy.   ;)

Something Jim said is important. A project list. It's easy to forget something without it. Like, wow, did I glue in the rear spar? Hmmm...

I tend to look at any plane I build as a series of assemblies to complete. It's too daunting if you look at the whole thing at once. I just look at, say, cutting out the fuselage sides or building the stabilizer. After awhile, shazam! you have an airplane. How'd that get there?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:54:15 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »
All good advice as usual from the good people on the forum. I think I'm getting the idea. I was going to try the Super Combat Streak for my first scratch build. I wonder if it has the same wing as the original Flight Streak. SCS should be an easy wing to make ribs for.
I think the big challange for me will be balsa selection for diffrent peices. Just realized that if I pick the wrong wood from the start, I can just get the right kind while building if I have doubts. I have built enough kits to have a feel for what is right.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »
Jerry: To start off you want "C" grain for the ribs. Sig sells this clearly marked as "C" grain. Keep the grain in the ribs running in the same dirrection, you will have a lot of scrap bulsa but save it you'll use it.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
Jerry,

No need to be scared..

1) Treat each part of the airplane as a small assembly, then it is not overwhelming

2) Remember that when you carfeully make the parts, you then have a kit! Except in the case of the new laser cut kits, your parts will fit better as a big benefit.

3) Laser cut ribs can be made for you www.blueskymodels.net

4) By building a much better airplane, you will have a very rewarding feeling of accomplishment when done!

AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
All good advice as usual from the good people on the forum. I think I'm getting the idea. I was going to try the Super Combat Streak for my first scratch build. I wonder if it has the same wing as the original Flight Streak. SCS should be an easy wing to make ribs for.
I think the big challange for me will be balsa selection for diffrent peices. Just realized that if I pick the wrong wood from the start, I can just get the right kind while building if I have doubts. I have built enough kits to have a feel for what is right.

HI Jerry,

Did you see my post over on the "combat" section about the SCS?  Barry's plans show the "scratch built" leading edge that George used on the Flite Streak, and they show the kit LE.

After you do the SCS (and it will be an easy build, plus you have us all here to help!) I would suggest you get with Tom Neibuhr and get some plans and laser cut ribs from him for your next build.  It simplifies the build greatly and you will still be building from plans with the "hardest part" (cutting ribs) done!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
After 30 years, got the fever again..bought some great SCALE Voodoo plans from ebay..even included rib profiles, booms,etc......cut out profiles after making bunch of copies and gluetubing them to balsa..easy plane to build if youre rusty..all ribs are same...bought a used fox 35..and bada bing!, had a model in no time..at 60 yrs. old, I chickened out and added landing gear to slow this sucker down!!...just got Ringmaster plans from ebay..cant wait for this one to see air..good luck!!!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »
I do it all the time.

I'd suggest laying in a "bench stock" of balsa.  Driving to the LHS all the time costs money, too.

My source is Balsa USA, in the UP.  They grow good wood up there.  An e-order generally hits my porch within two postal days.   Wood from Texas and Iowa flys, too.

I analyzed all the sizes and decided that 48" x 4" is the best buy, considering scrap losses from cutting smaller sheets.   Just estimate how many sheets you want for starters, from 1/16" up through 1/2".   
Add in some square stock, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".  A sheet each of plywood, 1/64" through 1/8". 

You'll spend less than the price of one kit and probably be able to build four or five planes.

Replenish as the stock dwindles.   
Paul Smith

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 12:21:02 PM »
Bill, Checked out post in combat section, great, thanks.

Does Tom Neibuhr have a web page?

Thanks also for the ideas on purchasing balsa. That's something I've never done in bulk. Usually pick up small pieces at LHS for repair or kit bad wood replacement.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:22:45 AM »

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
Keith, Thanks for the info, will check out his services and see how he can fit into my future building. Yet another good source of the right stuff for C/L.
Jerry Bohn

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »
I personally believe that the one of the single greatest transitions a model builder can make is to learn to scratch build.  Once you cross that "rubicon", the feeling of accomplishment and sense of freedom to be able to take a set of plans and "go" is hard to describe.

It tends to spiral upwards very rapidly from there in terms of your skill set. Not too long after, the realization comes that the "stuff" you have floating in your head, you can now build it.  Modelers who develop scratch building skills tend to stay active in this hobby for a very long period of time.

Welcome to the club!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here