News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:33:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Wing/Stab/Thrust Setup?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Ringmaster Wing/Stab/Thrust Setup?
« on: March 20, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
Folks,
Here's my question.....
What wing/stab/ thrust alignment setup works best on a Ringmaster?  "Zero Zero Zero"?
I already have a couple degrees right thrust built in.
Seems the plans show slight negative on the stab (LE low).
Those that know share it with us!
Thanks!
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ringmaster Wing/Stab/Thrust Setup?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »
    Hi Dave;
      What kit are you building? I have a couple of "after market" kits but haven't built any yet. On the Sterling kits I have built, which has no plans, a degree or two right thrust, one degree downthrust, and one degree positive on the stabilizer.  I set all my models up this way. Got this from an old article in Stunt News that Bob Whitely wrote called, "Things That Always Work."  And I use little to no rudder offset. All of these help counter P-factor and torque, and some other natural tendencies that powered airplane encounter. I install adjustable leadouts also and a tip weight box.
     Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »
Hey Dan,
I'm looking at a Ringmaster 593 From Pat King.  Ordered a wing kit and scratch building the fuse/tail group.
"Typically" I setup my electric pusher prop stunters with 1* upthrust, 2 1/2* right thrust, and a smidgen of positive on the stab (just to make SURE no negative creeps in). Probably only a tenth or 2 degrees at the most.
Thanks for the reply.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:02:19 AM »
   I see the name Rigotti and keep wanting to type Hi Crist!

Hi DAVE!! y1
   In Whitley's article, and it's been a long time since I read it, he describes that an powered airplane's natural tendency at zero-zero settings is for the nose to rise, and that is what the down thrust counters. At that time, left handed props were not in use for stunt, so no mention was made of them. But I would imagine that the same down thrust be applied even for a left handed prop, and you might not need the right thrust, or as much. The left handed prop thing for electrics has been discussed some, as guys were finding trimming issues that they had never seen before, at the same time they were finding out that electric model needed a more forward balance point. I haven't made the change to electric so have no experience with running them, but if memory serves me correctly, some were reporting that they didn't seem to be experiencing the expected effect of a left handed prop. My own uneducated wild ass guess is that any effect from the left handed prop may be getting mitigated by the mass of the motor spinning in that same direction. I got that idea from watching a TV show about snipers and the description of what was called spin drift. Whichever way the bullet was spinning from the rifling effect, the bullet would drift in that direction and they have to account for that when aiming. That motor weighs upwards of 5 ounces, correct? That is a lot of spinning mass.  I have one of those big Ringmaster kits also and will have to get to it one of these days.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
It works fine. It's not about upright, or inverted flight, it's about prop rotation direction.

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »
I second the recommendation of slight down and right thrust on the engine and a 'hint' of positive incidence on the stab.  About 1/8" offset on the rudder.

I've built dozens of Ringmasters over the years and the only one which flew worth a darn was one I 'blueprinted' rather than building it as it came of out the box.  I also slowed that big elevator w-a-a-y down.  They stall very easily with that thin wing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:29:28 PM by Steve Scott »

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
I don’t put any off sets and if you want a little up stab LE is okay
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here