News:

• May 14, 2024, 08:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retro-Fit, wing mounted gear!  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Retro-Fit, wing mounted gear!
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Has anyone ever added gear to a wing that was totally built and covered?

The two methods that immediately come to mind, would be the typical knotched rail, and the other would be a plywood plate attached to the upper and lower spar.

I'm considering doing this with one of these methods. Are there other construction options that have been used in retro-fit?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Retro-Fit, wing mounted gear!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
Hi Charles,

Answer is yes. I'm is the (very slow) process of converting a TF Nobler to a "Brock" Nobler. After removing ALL of the covering, cutting the slots for the gear and removing the (some) sheeting, the hardest part was getting that damned hot glue off the inside of the structure so the new ply ribs would fit up against the original ribs. (It was a job that I won't do again. I'll build from scratch next time!)

The rest was easy. Maybe the project will be done by NEXT year maybe not! I'm no Sparky! LOL!

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
Hi Charles,

Answer is yes. I'm is the (very slow) process of converting a TF Nobler to a "Brock" Nobler. After removing ALL of the covering, cutting the slots for the gear and removing the (some) sheeting, the hardest part was getting that damned hot glue off the inside of the structure so the new ply ribs would fit up against the original ribs. (It was a job that I won't do again. I'll build from scratch next time!)

The rest was easy. Maybe the project will be done by NEXT year maybe not! I'm no Sparky! LOL!

Good luck, Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have photos of your tasks?

I'm not removing the covering.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
Ok, I'll try to post some pic's...........

Also showing the "New Tip" which I call the Fancher tip!

Enjoy, Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
Gerald,

Nice clean work!

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
To answer more of your questions:

Span = 49-3/4", LG wire is 1/8" with 64th ply/balsa spats, hopefully 2" wheels will suffice (Flying off grass), 4" BC, Gear is 1-5/8" back from the LE and slanting forward so the wheel will be under the LE, LA 46 for power, 4 oz. clunk tank, plastic spinner with metal back, 11 X 4 wood prop (probably Xoar or the other one), and finally the plan is from "Model Airplane News" and drawn by Wennerstrom.    

Wt., unknown at this time. Target weight? I don't do target weights.... it is what it is.

PS: the wing isn't screwed down. (Gap in back)

PPS: The engine is on an RC mount! And that is an acquired ship in the back ground. Flies real nice with a FOX Eagle 60 modified into a "Reeves" Special!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »
Gerald,

Thanks for that information and for taking the time to not only take photos but to Post them also. A fine contributor to SH!

You were a great help in my decision to retro the gear in this model. Your efforts are appreciated.

I'll start my retro-fit today and Post the results at my "IC to "E" Thread.

I'll follow your lead on some of the tasks, but will do my retro-fit a bit different.

Placement of the groved rail block will be in a different location. I'll put mine against the spar.

Hope to see you at that Thread.

Thanks again.

Charles

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
Charles,

I'll be watching.............. y1

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here