News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing paint from rattle cans revisited!!  (Read 877 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Removing paint from rattle cans revisited!!
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
Wow, the earlier posts on getting the paint out of rattle cans really helped me, BUT, (you knew there was a "but" didn't you?)  the heads up about the stuff retaining propellant even after removal was a big help, then again, not enough help!  (Maybe if I had listened even closer?)
I emptied a can of white Valspar lacquer the recommended way using a nail instead of an ice pick, it worked great.  I than emptied a can of Krylon bright blue and that worked fine.  Now- I wanted a powder blue, a reeeaaaly light powder blue, so I wondered if the Krylon and the Valspar would curdle if I used the blue for a mix.  Put some in, no cotton candy or cottage cheese, so went ahead and mixed the color I wanted.  Fine.
Took the jars to the basement shop to warm up and set them on my electronics bench.  Stupid move.
About an hour later I decided I wanted the powder blue just a little darker, so I took the lid off the jar of Krylon and noticed it was working just like a fermenting wine still!  I wondered if a slow stir would help so I grabbed a stick and as soon as I touched the liquid it foamed over the top of the jar all over my bench!  I mean it was INSTANTANEOUS!  POOOF!
After grumbling and cleaning I was able to reinsert the stir stick and slowly agitate the stuff and it finally quit working.
So - now I proceeded to "make the powder blue darker".  Yeh, right.  Now - the powder blue has been stirred before, and rather vigorously at that, and was totally placid.  Right?  Wrong.  The "new blue" added to it gave it another boost of bubble up.  While it failed to explode or foam over it still startled me with the action from adding .5 oz of the blue to a pint of the other.
So guys and gals, this stuff is potent!
By the way, the Valspar lacquer and the Krylon whatever mix fine and 3608S thins it fine if needed.  I also needed more paint than originally on hand so I used a can of Krylon white to ad to the mix and it went fine as well.
One last highlight - when you poke the hole in the can with a nail or ice pick, be sure you don't let it come out of the hole for a little while or bad things happen.  Don't ask how I know or what the bad things are! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Removing paint from rattle cans revisited!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 03:06:06 PM »
Will,

You are a brave soul!!

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
I didn't see the earlier posts about getting paint out of a rattle can.  Where are they?

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:53 PM »
David,
Go down the list in this category to "spray can to jar to brush" and they are in it.  Some really good techniques.  But ya gotta be careful!
Will

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
Brother Will,

Best advice I have found is to let the paint sit, covered but not air tight, for about a day before it loses all the suspended propellant. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
I would certainly second and even third the recommendation!!!!!!! y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
Will

By the way coach, how ya doin' these days?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
I would certainly second and even third the recommendation!!!!!!! y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
Will

By the way coach, how ya doin' these days?

Thanks, Will.  BTW, I am slowly getting better.  it will happen. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here