News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing old silkspan  (Read 1259 times)

Offline jamtx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Removing old silkspan
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:47 PM »
  Hello eveyone, new to the forum. Looks like a good place to find out things and watch the smiley shows :)
  What would be the best way of removing old silkspan that is stuck good?

James
James Karnes
Abilene,TX.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Removing old silkspan
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »
A couple of local folk did this a few months ago. Get a bunch of MEK from Home Depot (or Lowe's, or . . .), a putty knife and a couple of rolls of paper towels. Lay several thicknesses of paper towels across the surface to be stripped and soak with MEK. Let it soak for 5 - 20 minutes; some experimentation will be required, and it may be necessary to re-wet the area. THe silkspan should peel off in sheets, and fairly easily. Areas that are really stuck down may require gentle persuasion with the putty knife. At first, don't try to do more than 1 square foot at a time; you may be able to increase this area as you become more proficient. Don't substitute Acetone for the MEK; it evaporates too fast. Patience helps. Good luck.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:56:08 AM »

Please take this as intended. When we post on subjects that have some inherent dangers, I thinks it's prudent to also include "Safety Advice" along with our posts. We don't know the level of experience and education of some of the folks who are asking advice. For all we know Jamtx could be a chemist with a PhD and knows everthing about handling solvents and this presents no problem but he could also be a highly successful account with a three degrees but no real chemical knowledge. This could lead to real serious problems. I have a good friend who nearly died breathing solvent paint fumes... lack of proper safe guards and practices.

Do you all agree or am I being nit picking?
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »
Dick You are  exactly RIGHT  Always  do anything like this  outdoors and  take precautions. I would even use a chemical mask outdoors  doing this sort of operation
. Try your best to NOT breathe the  fumes
Randy

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:32:22 AM »
Please take this as intended. When we post on subjects that have some inherent dangers, I thinks it's prudent to also include "Safety Advice" along with our posts. We don't know the level of experience and education of some of the folks who are asking advice. For all we know Jamtx could be a chemist with a PhD and knows everthing about handling solvents and this presents no problem but he could also be a highly successful account with a three degrees but no real chemical knowledge. This could lead to real serious problems. I have a good friend who nearly died breathing solvent paint fumes... lack of proper safe guards and practices.

Do you all agree or am I being nit picking?

I agree 100 percent.

My ex-wife is a chemist and kept me alive longer than our marriage.  <=

MEK, Acetone, and many of the substances we handle when building, flying, or repairing our planes can be very dangerous substances. Please read the caution labels.

Thanks for the reminder,  Dick.
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »
Dick, Randy, and Ron - - Y'all are 100% correct. I honestly meant to include all the strictures about "Work outdoors!" and "Stay Upwind!" and just plain forgot to add them when I finished the mechanical aspects of the job, and then again when I re-read the post. Mea culpa maxima!

For that matter, it would probably be a good idea to wear Rubbermaid® Gloves, too.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline jamtx

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:01:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. Thats what i'll do, we always have a nice little breeze in west Tex.

James

James Karnes
Abilene,TX.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »
A *little* late here, but I use "Dad's Stripper" that I get from Wal Mart.  Do follow the precautions on the can, but it takes less and works great!  So far it has removed everything that I have tried it on, but it will eat plastic canopies.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here