News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removal of old silkspan covering  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Tom Weedon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Removal of old silkspan covering
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:12:12 PM »
I need to recover a wing, but I always have a problem removing the old doped-on silkspan from the sheet balsa leading and trailing edges. It is glued on tight. If I try to scrape it off with a knife, I end up gouging the balsa and making a mess. Any suggestions on how to remove an old doped-on finish including the silkspan ??? 

Tom Weedon
Tom Weedon, AMA 2537

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: Removal of old silkspan covering
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
I agree with Ty -- and take it outdoors if possible.  %^
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:44:31 PM »
I like to use gel type paint strippers. The problem with MEK or Acetone is the evaporation rate is so high that most is lost to the air while a small portion is adsorbed and solvates the finish. It takes awhile using them.

Gel type strippers cling to the finish and attack the finish better. They stay wet and thus work better. They will break the dope to balsa bond and the silkspan can be removed.

The usual warnings about gloves, ventilation, etc applies.

I use Jasco Brands and they are available at most hardware and paint stores.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_rem.htm
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »
I use paint stripper also. What really helps is to brush it on thick and then immediately cover the wet stripper with a layer of Saran Wrap. Try to lay it down smoothly and work any air bubbles out. The Saran Wrap really slows down the evaporation of the stripper and allows it to do it's work. If working outdoors try to keep it out of the sun so that it doesn't dry to fast. Give it plenty of time to penetrate. Than remove the Saran Wrap and use a dull razor blade to scrape off the silkspan. Most will come off during the first application. I use this same method to strip furniture that needs to be refinished.
Chris

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
My oldest Son found a product called "Dad's Stripper" at Wal-Mart.  It is a gel paint stripper.  Depending on how you "work it", you can remove as little as a couple coats of paint, or strip all the way to bare wood.  The Saran Wrap tip is a great one! 

Disclaimer: follow all the directions and precautions.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
My 2 cents...I've had good success removing a dope finish using retarder, seems to remove the finish about 2 layers at a time. Pour a little on a paper towel, and gently rub. Same cautions about fresh air...
ama 72090

Offline Tom Weedon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »
I want to thank all you fellows for your suggestions. After reading them, I went to my basement where I found a qt. of "Strypeeze". After waiting about 15 min. following application, the old silkspan pealed off with ease! What a break! Now I can refinish the wing without hours and hours of sanding. Thanks fellows.
Tom Weedon
Tom Weedon, AMA 2537

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »
I have tried several of the commercial paint strippers, but, sometimes it seems to be absorbed into the balsa and after that no paint will stick in that area. Anyone had this happen??    SH^  #^ ~^  That's why I stay with acetone. 

Hi Ty,

I have used "Dad's Stripper" to redo about 5 planes, now.  I do wipe down/clean the surface with lacquer thinner after it is finished/dry and have had no such problems.

Aaron's Red ARES and my OD/Gray P-47 were done with it.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:27:44 AM »
If the model had a decent finish to start with, I just cut the cover off of the open bays and feather sand all of the edges. Then I sand the whole finish down as far as I dare, or need.
 Recover the open bays, and then build it up, feathering in the edges of the polyspan or whatever you are using, with primer, and then repaint.
Chris...

Offline John Christensen

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
I have used MEK and paper towels. Fold the paper towel and place on the paint. Sprinkle some MEK on the paper towel, get it good and wet. Wait for a minute or two (depending upon the temperature) and peel off the paper towel with the paint. This has to be done outside in the open or the MEK will get to you.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here