News:

• May 13, 2024, 09:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removable Canopies are Possible!  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Removable Canopies are Possible!
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
I mentioned removable canopies briefly.

I wanted to be able to service the canopy on the Gee Bee R-3 which I designed and am scratch building.   ;D

Well, that's true.  LL~

The build? See it in living color at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.

Anyway, I gave it mild thought and came up with this...

Could work for just about any model with a canopy and look neat.

Finish with any color vinyl you select to match your model.

Step 1. Paper template. Takes a bit of time but it has to be on the money or close.

Step 2. Scan into CAD program and do a trace or a draw. Well, lucky me, I have a program. 

But there's plenty of guys that have programs and may do this for you.

Step 3. Onto the cutter. Not rocket science there, but again, you need a cutter.

But there's plenty of guys that have cutters and may do this for you.

Step 4. Remove canopy "gasket" and simply apply half of the thickness on the canopy and half the             
           thickness on the model. Gotta mark the center at both ends.

Piece of cake!

I used yellow mask material because it's temporary AND not as sticky. It's not as plyable either.

Canopy "gaskets" should be identical for all same type models.

I expect to make one for my ARF Nobler, and it should work on all ARF Noblers.

Now I have to decide if I want to attach my Gee Bee R-3 canopy with a vinyl gasket?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Removable Canopies are Possible!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Not a bad idea, however, I would be surprised if it held up to more than a couple dozen flights, let alone the thousands most stunt ships are subjected to
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:15 PM »
Not a bad idea, however, I would be surprised if it held up to more than a couple dozen flights, let alone the thousands most stunt ships are subjected to

Not a problem if you don't fly them though.  ;)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »
  A roll of good quality pin stripping tape would do the same job. As you say, "Guys have been doing this for years!"  There are better ways to do it (if you REALLY think you need to do it) but I would go into it here.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 09:34:45 PM »
  A roll of good quality pin stripping tape would do the same job. As you say, "Guys have been doing this for years!"  There are better ways to do it (if you REALLY think you need to do it) but I would go into it here.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

I think the tape might have difficulty with the tight radius. I also think doing it this way is pointless.

I'll glue it, mask to protect the canopy and then clear the canopy along with the model.

I'm really exited about this model.

Thanks for the replies.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »

I mentioned removable canopies briefly.

Well, yes.  Removable canopies are possible.  They can even be made to slide.  (This one is made to slide back before it can be taken from the tracks.)

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »
Well, yes.  Removable canopies are possible.  They can even be made to slide.  (This one is made to slide back before it can be taken from the tracks.)

Keith

Keith,

I know that model. Your MB-5. Nats winner but I don't remember the year. Sorry.

42" in span and 5 lines if I remember that correctly.

I have a file with all photos of that model.

I never told you this but your MB-5 was the inspiration for the scheme on my Mig-3.

Ya gotta love those Warbirds.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »
I decided to just put the canopy in place.

I probably won't have the model long anyway.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
There have been times when I wished for a removable canopy.  If the cockpit isn't totally sealed inside, balsa dust seems to get into the canopy long after the model is finished!

Once, a spider got inside my Hurricane model, and it (he/she) built a large web inside the canopy.  After looking at this for a long time, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the canopy and used a cotton swab on the end of a coat-hangar wire to reach in and clean it off.

On a glo model, with exhaust goo coming out on the top, any small fissure in the canopy will attract oil!

It is common practice now to make the canopy out of a balsa block!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
There have been times when I wished for a removable canopy.  If the cockpit isn't totally sealed inside, balsa dust seems to get into the canopy long after the model is finished!

Once, a spider got inside my Hurricane model, and it (he/she) built a large web inside the canopy.  After looking at this for a long time, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the canopy and used a cotton swab on the end of a coat-hangar wire to reach in and clean it off.

On a glo model, with exhaust goo coming out on the top, any small fissure in the canopy will attract oil!

It is common practice now to make the canopy out of a balsa block!

Floyd

Floyd,

Thanks for the reply, not quite like your last one..

I think the easiest way to have a removable canopy is to use vinyl as tape. The adheasive is fuel proof.

The Gee Bee R-3 will exhaust from under the cowling, two tubes probably, so not much residue will be getting on the top side of the model. I'm having a custom muffler made.

The cockpit is 100% sealed so I should be OK.

Unless Gort's head falls off.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey! What's not alive but can bite you?

"Planking."

Well indirectly.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here