News:

• May 06, 2024, 10:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PVC Starting Stand  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PVC Starting Stand
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
I got news from my cardiovascular surgeon, who just saved my leg, that I cant ever kneel down again. So I was faced with a dilema, make a stand to start my planes on.

I constucted this stand from 2 1/2" thickwall PVC. The top sections are 1", and they swing open to accomodate various LG configurations(35-60 size). Yes, it holds the plane solid inverted or upright positions as shown, by the horizontal stab. I can plug some different arms in for 1/2A to .25 size ships. The 2 halves come apart for transporting, and is secured when assembled with 2 cotter pins on a chain.

I still need a helper, or stooge, to launch with; I prefer the living kind though!
When you've been given a life altering hurdle, you gotta improvise!

Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: PVC Starting Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:20:18 PM »
Nice engineering.  None of us are getting any younger and standing to start sure beats kneeling and bending. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:33:54 PM »
I might make the front legs a little longer....a motor that hauls the SCORE pulls some...

I haven't been able to squat or kneel for a long time.....I will make one of those for my ownself....
My flying has been deteriorating, and one of the reasons is that I have to rely upon folks being at the field...with a stand, I can get the critters going, put them into a stooge, and fly!
Thanks

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »
A great idea, and great work, Richard.  I was wondering; though, if when the engine starts, does the stand tend to tip forward?  What about making the forward legs of the base a little longer, or putting the uprights further back?  Even if a person doesn't have a problem kneeling down at the flying site, a stand like this in the back yard would come in very handy for engine testing, etc.     Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:28:14 PM »
Sure, it pulls forward a bit with the 51, but the stand is adjustable with different  cradle lengths at the front and rear. I just did it this way to accomodate a 35 size Sterling Hellcat profile, a Sig Banshee and Chipmunk, the Score and Vector without extra attachments neccesary. I could make a set for each plane, but I'd be hauling more stand than planes to the field!! I have no doubt that some of you will come up with "mo-betta" improvements to yours if you make one, just share some pixs with the rest of us!PVC is pretty inexpensive, so your imagination is the only limitation!

Just make sure the parts that are glued goes together with the purple primer/cleaner, then the heavy duty cement. I'm still not through playing with the different cradle possibilities to maybe fine tune it a little!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 02:30:41 PM »
Richard,

I advise caution. While I have no doubt that pictured starting stand is safe with any normal prop/engine combination in which the engine is an ST 51...

...I would bet a fair bit of money that my Impact, running a small-block four-stroke (Saito 56), this twisting either of my two best props, will almost instantly pull a stand like yours over.

I don't fully understand what is going on here, but certain engine/prop combinations, while delivering comparable in-air results, vary drastically as to the amount of static pull.

A friend with whom I fly on a regular basis will not hold the Impact for me. Or at least he began refusing to do so about the second flying session of this year. The pull is that annoying, although he can be a bit of a wimp at times.

Even when we are flying at the same circle, I must use my stooge!

Related, and while I personally wouldn't do it during my own officials, the option of having someone else start your model does exist, even in competition. The "starting points" rule no longer exists.

When others are flying one of my ARFs in a contest, typically I will do all the pit work while they wait at the handle. When flying "Pukey Profile" in Canada this past year, we used two of my models and I did all of the pit work...my fellow Stunt Prima Donnas never had to deal with any of the messy stuff.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:25:59 AM »
Thank you Dan!
 Im sure that Saito would fly this stand just fine. I didn't make it as a test stand, just as a starting stand. I cant kneel anymore, so hopefully I can get a helper to launch for me thats not a whiner.....  :-[

I could probably build a larger scale stand out of 4" PVC(and I might do that!), and could fill the bottom legs with Quickcrete for extra flyaway protection, but Im afraid I'd screw up my back setting it up and not get to fly!

**)

sighhh...Its hell getting old!!!  SH^ then   ~~>  :X

Later,
Richard
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:01:46 AM by Richard Grogan »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »
I friend of mine was actually screaming to me to give the signal to let go of my Saito 72 powered Backfire.  The pull is that strong.  When I let Keith Trostle fly my plane, I launched and I was saying to myself " the pull on this thing is a bitch, I wish he would give the signal". %^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 09:53:44 PM »
I can vouch for that, after launching Marc Conner's Miss Kate, Saito .72 powered, I almost decided I needed one of those cause it is very very strong. lucky I was braced, almost pulled me over onto the wing! lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »
I'm with Richard on the squatting and kneeling stuff. Everything I got hurts everyday...

This is not unlike the stooge used for winding Wakefields (F1B's) rubber motors, which requires more like 30 or 40 lbs of pull...about like a pulltest. I've flown the event, and anchored some for winding. It's a serious pull, and takes awhile.

A pair of guy wire/ropes and good tent stakes would brace this unit adequately for a Saito .72! The F1B guys sometimes carry different types of tent stakes, to suit various types of soil. Our soil requires simple spikes, that can deflect off the rocks. Army Surplus and camping supply stores can provide good types of tent stakes. I'd be inclined to use plastic coated aircraft cable for the guy wires, tho many F1B guys use something like parachute cord. I'd want less stretch for either purpose.

I'm also thinking that this device could be hard on stabalizers. A crossbar up front could capture the LG, maybe, with a gizmo, bungee or Velcro over the aft fuselage to hold it down? Alternately, a pin to hook to the stooge loop? I sure like the idea...   #^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:37:31 PM »
Super  looking models... Capt. Grogan
Humm?  How bout' a good spade or a shovel...DIG A WAIST DEEP HOLE...HOP IT  and start flippin!!!  n~

HOWEVER....U'D THEN HALF TO BE MIGHTY CAREFUL ON YOUR LANDING APPROACHES!  I would hate to see what would happen to those beautifully crafted and flyin models of yours...if they landed in the hole.

However...that hole would come in handy---to bury any idiots that give you a bad time n' a rash of hanger trash about that fancy PVC pipe startin' stand or my lame idea with the shovel? j1
Don Shultz

Offline Brian Thwaites

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 12:15:49 PM »
Nice idea good to save those knees mine kill me if I do alot of kneeling down, it will take the stress off the old joints
Brian Thwaites

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here