News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop Nut/Nose Weight  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Denis Downs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Prop Nut/Nose Weight
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:46:10 AM »
I have a tail heavy stunt plane and am looking for a 'acorn type' prop nut that is made of brass or other heavy material that I can install on my OS-FP40. Have looked at the normal supplier's web-sites but have not found one. Does anyone still offer these in various weights to fit a 1/4-28 thread?

Thanks,

Denis Downs

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Prop Nut/Nose Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:50:21 AM »

Don't know if Harry Higley is still in business or not, but I think he used to make them... H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Alan Hahn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »
Remember that these place a lot of "bad" weight on the end of our crankshafts and help speed up the wearing out process of plain bearing/bushing engines.  Especially Fox 35s!  According to what I have been told, it might be the best cause of broken cranks in the fox35.  Adding lead to the airframs nose is safer for engine life.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
I seem to remember hearing about melting lead into the cub on the backplate as an option,, not sure if I would melt it into there or form it and then attach it,, but hey its an empty hole,, might be a good place to hide it also
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:22:31 AM »
I seem to remember hearing about melting lead into the cub on the backplate as an option,, not sure if I would melt it into there or form it and then attach it,, but hey its an empty hole,, might be a good place to hide it also

I have seen quite a few "stuffed" backplates! LOL!! Actually, if the backplate is bolted in position, I have not see ill effects from just pouring the melted lead straight into it.  As a safety measure I have also seen a plate made to keep the lead in place being held with the back plate screws.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
Remember that these place a lot of "bad" weight on the end of our crankshafts and help speed up the wearing out process of plain bearing/bushing engines.  Especially Fox 35s!  According to what I have been told, it might be the best cause of broken cranks in the fox35.   Adding lead to the airframs nose is safer for engine life.
What Bill said.
We have a two piece Fox crank in the club to prove it!   HB~>
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 01:25:16 PM »
I've run heavy hubs for years on various glow engines with no problem.  (Do not recommend them for diesels, however.)  On the other hand, I've broken various glow engines (and diesels) which have never seen a heavy hub.  So, you pays your money and you takes your chances.  I have filled a backplate with steel BB's and made a plate to cover it and hold them in. No problem with that.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »
I have made the calculation and shown somewhere (SSW I think) that the moment of inertia of a heavy hub is neglible compared to a modern plastic prop. I haven't cut up a wood to calculate the difference. Remember what counts a lot is that the flywheel effect depends only linearly with mass (or weight) but on the square of the radius to the mass.

I am sure nothing is tougher on the old Fox than a plastic 9-6 Foxberg/FoxyHazel prop!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »
  Dennis, I have a used one--- $5.00 and I will pay shipping.

If interested E-Mail me at <mdenny4@cox.net>

Bigiron                               It is just like the one pictured above.
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here