News:

• June 17, 2024, 08:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: why use flaps?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Fred Shattuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
why use flaps?
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
I am relatively new to control line, and have a question.  Why use flaps? My modified Ringmaster can do ten loops in the time my Chipmunk can barely execute one.  My scratchbuilt design, same story. No flaps and flies great. I intend to build a Thunderbird and a Smoothie, but if the performance is the same as the Banshee or Chipmunk, I will be afraid to fly them. Both my brother and I have had great results with the Super Tigre 51 in the non-flapped planes, but are not doing something right with the flap-type planes. Can somebody explain the principle of flapping to me? Thanks

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: why use flaps?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »
After reading this post and your other one in the open forum, I get that you like to fly real fast. The Chipmunk and Banshee were not designd for that. Those designs were meant to fly the AMA stunt pattern were speed is not really desirable.
 The coupled flaps were designed to give the wing more lift at those slower speeds. With different ratio throws, you can control the rate of turn.
The Smoothie does have flaps, but has a much thinner wing than a Chipmunk. So higher speeds suit it well.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »
Coupled flaps were added when additional maneuvers were added, and more fuel had to be added as well.  The older spark ignition engines ran on "white" gasoline, which allows far better fuel mileage than methanol does. 

The planes got heavier, and lines longer than about 68 feet turned out not to work well, so the aerobatics planes ended up flying more slowly.  Back when "Stunt" was a combination of speed and daredevil antics, in 1946 and 1947, fast flying was common.  By 1949, it was no longer the norm, although by today's standards, most aerobatic flying was still performed at a fast clip.  The wing flaps helped tighten the sizes of turns that no longer seemed nice enough at the old planes' larger radiuses. 

Initially, the planes' tail moments were rather short, and the flaps created as many problems as they solved.  Early attempts tended to work better if the wing flaps deflected to a proportionally smaller degree, along the lines of 15 degrees to the 45 degrees that the elevators deflected (and be sure to understand that the flaps go DOWN when the Elevators go up, and vice versa).  Eventually, we discovered that the joint between the wing and flaps needed to be closed, as did the stab to elevator joint. 

An aerobatics pioneer named George Aldrich serendipitously hit on a very usable formula of plane size, engine run, flaps to elevators relationships, etc. and named it the Nobler.  Many Noblers were flown with the flaps and elevators deflecting at a 1 to 1 ratio, instead of 3 to 1.  George also slowed his plane down further, from the 70 mph speeds then common, down to the 55- 60 mph speed zone.  The sounds his engines made while in flight caught some fellow competitors unawares.  He set them so that they were skipping every other beat while flying level, but would rev up automatically into a two stroke the moment he applied control. 

That was the "classic" breaking engine run (4-2-4) that became the standard quickly, and remained standard for twenty years or more.  You have now had far more of a history lesson than you bargained for.  Sorry about that. 

In some ways, for the simpler maneuvers, with simpler models, the pre-1951 aerobatic speeds of 65 - 70 mph are somewhat easier to deal with, but when you begin to string together four loops across almost a 45 degree arc of the circle to make a cloverleaf shape, you'll be much happier flying at 60 mph and less. 

:!

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »
You don't need flaps, but if you want to fly slower, and do the square and triangle maneuvers smoothly, flaps sure help.  Also a flapped airplane can carry a little more weight and still fly well.

The tightest turning airplanes are unflapped F2d combat airplanes.  They do this by having very low wing loadings and more airspeed.  They are not socred on shape or style of the manuvers so they do well in combat, but will not score well at a stunt contest. 

There are some unflaped stunt airplanes, but they have to be light to perform well

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Fred Shattuck

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:30:49 AM »
Thanks, y'all that is some real info. I moved the engine back on my Chipmunk in an attempt make it rotate more, may have helped slightly. I am using  plastic hinges, but the flaps and elevator are as close as possible and not bind up. This plane looks and handles great, as long as I am prepared to abort any loop and convert to an eight. Otherwise I will have a red white and blue plow. I located the engine back a little on my modified Ringmaster when I built it, to compensate for a little different spar design, greater wingspan, and slightly fuller fuselage, but retaining the total Ringmaster look and feel. We always mount our six ounce clunk tanks on the opposite side from the engine for balance and a  visual  on fuel while in flight. Is there a reason this is not common? I also built up the landing gear, brazing together a four piece span on each side, giving a much stiffer, wider, better looking, yet slightly forgiving set-up. Because of the roughness of the field where we fly we also use three inch wheels on most everything. It does give them a "bush plane" look. On the Ringmaster I opted for thinner 2 1/2 wheels for the more classic look. From the pics i've seen of other planes, this is a departure from the norm also. Does everybody else fly on more pristine fields? Our feild is donated unofficially be the city and we maintain it. It is getting better, I must have removed a million rocks and half that many briars.
On the Chipmunk I simply made the gear heavier and longer and slanted a little more for the spring effect and rearward weight shift. The balance is about where the spars meets fuselage, maybe a little back from that to compensate for the sweep of the wing. It looks like my flying style is going to force me to stay away from flapped planes entirely. I am using 70 ft cables with laps at or under 4 seconds. I figure about  107 mph for the Chipmunk with fat wings and and a little more from the Ringmaster. I have not tried a cloverleaf, but I am sure the Ringmaster can execute them no problem.     I am a sponge for info, it cannot be too long winded. It looks like we fly outside the box a little, but when my brother releases my plane after a thumbs up, I am transported to a different reality.    Thanks for the tips on this and the open forum. I responded yesterday but I think I sent it to the Twilight Zone. Fred Shattuck

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:57:52 AM »
Fred,
At the risk of asking something stupid  n1, your flaps are connected up so that when the elevator moves up, the flaps move downward and vice versa---right? (If you followed the Chipmunk plans, they must be of course).

The reason I ask is that it is the wing lift that provides the force that makes a plane do a loop---not the elevator. The elevator simply changes the angle of attack on the wing, increasing its lift, thus supplying the centripetal force that causes the plane to loop. The flaps, when moving downward also increase the lift of the wing. If they move upward, they will kill some of the lift, making your loops really wide.

Anyway, if they are hooked up correctly, then I apologize.

Offline Fred Shattuck

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:33:59 AM »
I definately have them working right, and no need to apologize. When the elevator is at 45 degrees down the flaps are at about 30 degrees up, eyeballing it. I knew Ed Alexander in Ft Worth, Of OVER EASY fame, and he was the one that planted it in my head that flaps are better, with my drooling over his old Thunderbird. He also insisted, and I have always resisted, the 2 cycle, 4 cycle concept of tuning the engine. We run a little on the lean side for consistant rpm at any angle.  Do you think a shorter span between wings would help the roation problem? Thanks.        FRED

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:46 AM »
Fred,

Ok, here is another WAG  y1 . As I understand it you are flying "SuperSonic" Stunt ;) !

What are you using as a pushrod? At your speeds I am now betting that your pushrod is bending when you are giving up elevator. This is giving you less up elevator than you think. Of course the flap is working ok since the pushrod there is much shorter, but perversely it is opposing the rotation that the elevator is trying to make. Net result is an inside loop which needs a tunnel digger on the bottom side! How are the outside loops. Since the pushrod is pulling in that case [= a "pull"rod], the elevator should be a lot more effective.

So a solution is to fly slower, where the aerodynamic forces will be tamed down a lot, or to stiffen up the pushrod---sometimes difficult to do at this stage. I have slipped a carbon fiber tube over the music wire pushrod, and that completely eliminates flex (at my speed anyway).

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
Should we suggest a "Wow" repro kit matched to an OS Max 32 SX, perhaps?  That might provide a sufficient thrill, since I rather doubt the 100 mph speeds mentioned this far, and that combo would most certainly do that kind of performance in actuality. 

Offline Fred Shattuck

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
 I do believe the push rod setup is the biggest problem, as i did not beef it up. I do recall the Chipmunk not only rotating more crisply inverted, but my recovery from a wingover in the inverted position is much better. I just supposed the big wheels contributed to this. I presently have the 51 out of it and mounted it in a twin to my Ringmaster that I gave to my brother.  With a wooden 11-6 it is a wicked combo. I will admit my estimation of the speed may be in error, but I don't think so. When we start flying again this spring, I will endeavor to time it precisely. We estimated the time from figuring a 75 ft radius and timed the lap on a wristwatch second hand, Y'all have to understand we fly unsupported til now. I had never heard of OTS or F2d or CLPA, and to tell the truth, other than combat which is obvious, and Old Time Stunt, I don't have a clue. What I am saying is that when my brother highly modified a Twister with 64 inch wings, no flaps and mounted a K B 91 in it and called it the Moon Shooter, we thought everybody flying C/L was into this kind of stuff. We love the rush and sweaty palm stuff. We were basically flying for the fun, you know, fifteen loops one way, then fifteen the other to unwind the cables. Wingovers that exit and enter an imaginary line about three foot off the ground and five on other days.  On the Ringmaster, I did beef them up a little. I used 5/32 music wire pushrods and  solid lead-outs. Chrome-moly welding wire, brazed together, to make them long enough clear the wingtips. I beef up the bellcrank platform.  When we fly, the pull seems about the same as holding a twenty pound bag of taters. The slight wing offset takes care of the extra drag from longer wires. Does anybody use longer wires? We were going to experiment a little this next summer.  Because my Chipmunk has become a wall hanging, I am going to revamp it with MUCH stiffer  hardware, install my bench tested  K B 61 in it and try again. I hope this works well enough for me to build my own Thunderbird.   I love all this input from y'all, thanks so much.   FRED

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here