News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:32:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting with dope  (Read 1137 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Painting with dope
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:27:47 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed how when you get your finish done it is flawless? Only to take it to the field and after setting out in the sun the grain starts to show up? This is caused from shrinkage of the dope. So I propose on the Satona I am building, I am going to take it to the field after getting it ready for paint (in primer) setting it the sun while I fly. After setting for a day in the sun it should have shrunk all its going to. Bring it back to the shop and re-sand and then paint. Sounds like a plan to me.
AMA 12366

Offline captcurt

• Commander
Re: Painting with dope
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »
Hi Robert...around here, thats standard practice for hot rods being done in lacquer.  Prime em then drive em for a few weeks.

Then wet sand and finish.  Seems to work.

Curt

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
Bob,
I have noticed that with the last few models.  It seems like the finish get a little orange peel after awhile.  some light sanding with 1500 and rubbing out takes care of it for good.  This is usually after a few months from the original finish date.  I refer to this as the finish "collapsing".  My guess it just hasn't finished shrinking yet.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
You will get a lot less of that if you follow the rule,
1 coat for every 2 days
It gives time to dry and gas off

I wouldn't advise setting the plane at the field in the sun, it wil  get too much heat on  one  side  and  it  will also  get  coated  with  oil  from the  planes  flying, this can cause a mess  when you try to put more paint over it.

Leave it in the hot  car  would  be  a  much better  idea.  or  if you have to set it in the  sun  make  sure  you  flip it over every 20 to 30 min.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here