News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting Plastic?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Painting Plastic?
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:35:06 AM »
Hello,

Anyone know  of a canned paint that will stick to MonoKote or that family of  heat shrink coverings?

I've had good luck using LusterKote on plastic covering but it's only available in spray cans.  I am adding pinstripes to my plane and using a brush to do it so I need a paint that's offered in cans.  Tried butyrate dope and it peels off easily after it dries.  Tried sign lettering paint with the same results.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Re: Painting Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:14:43 AM »
I belive Rustolium just came out with a spray can paint just for plastic. I don't know more just seen it last night when I was getting paint for another project (one that is keeping me from flying and building). Might be worth a try to see if its fuelproof and sticks. I'll be giving it a try but not in the near future. If some one else has tried or is going to please post here for us all to learn. Thanks
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Joe - there is a new Krylon paint line called Fusion.

Specifically engineered for plastics. Not sure if it's fuel proof.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »
I have done quite a bit of trim work over Monokote with regular Rustolium and never had a problem with it comming off. Of course I never tried to brush it on and roughed up the Monokote with a Scotch Bright pad before painting.

Everything I did was masked so running over the area to be painted with a Scotch Bright was easy, not sure what it would do on virgin Monokote.

I am not a lover of LusterKote but you can just spray it into the can lid and use a brush to do what you want. Wear a rubber glove when spraying into the lid and do it outside  ;D

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »
if you are just doing stripes, why not use trim tape?
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:30:06 PM »
I do what Bob does. Just spray some in a epoxy cup and paint away.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
Hello,

Thanks to all for the advice on painting MonoKote.

I once was a sign painter and did some auto pinstripping on occasion.  I'm fairly comfortable at doing pinstripes freehand.  We used enamel and were able to thin it so it would flow evenly and well.  Sign or bulletin enamel has a very "wet" edge which reduces brush drag and skipping.

By doing the stripping freehand with a brush, I don't have to mask anything off.  Saves a good deal  of time. 

I have used the "spay it in a lid" method  with LusterKote but found the paint to be too thin for good brush work (other than small touch ups) and it dries too quickly in the brush.

I've also tried  plastic, stick on stripes but don't like them too well.  The stripes won't stay put when handled, especially on a hot day.  Tried putting clear dope over the plastic stripes and found it took about three coats to keep them in place.  Didn't make for a very "clean" job.  Tried ironing on strips of clear MonoKote over the plastic stripes.  Again, not too good looking.

I'll check out the Krylon Fusion.  Maybe it comes in cans as well as spray?  Probably not.

Oh well,  sometimes part of the fun of doing this stuff is the search for the "perfect"  solution.  I'll keep trying.

Thanks again,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:53:02 PM »
Speaking of "Perfect" Brodak carrys there paints, I don't know anything about them but the Brodak catalog says fuel proof and can be used on plastic, fiberglass etc. Might want to check it out??
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
Joe,

I used to paint signs for part of my living and have often wondered what kind of fuel proofing the old oneshot sign paint have.  I would like to use it to accent silk and dope finishes.  Had you gotten far enough along to find out if it's fuel proof or not?   ???
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »
Joe,

I used to paint signs for part of my living and have often wondered what kind of fuel proofing the old oneshot sign paint have.  I would like to use it to accent silk and dope finishes.  Had you gotten far enough along to find out if it's fuel proof or not?   ???

It isn't, back in the 70's I had a sign painter paint my numbers on a stunter.. Didn't last one season.

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:37:53 PM »
TopFlite make a product for Monokote called Trim Solvent .It's for Monokote over Monokote trimming. It's fuelproof and it doesn't leave bubbles like you get when trying to iron on trim.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here