News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting after hinging  (Read 887 times)

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Painting after hinging
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:32:22 PM »
When using pin hinges, I normally paint all my control surfaces first then install the hinges.  Presently, I'm working on a model that I want to maiden in primer, then final paint after some test flights.  The plane is electric so there's no problem with getting oil on the finish.  Do I need to take any precautions to prevent the paint from affecting the hinges?
Jim Vigani

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: Painting after hinging
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
Usually, I'll hinge the surfaces after the final primer coat and then spray the base, trim, and clear coats on the assembled model.

The trick I learned is to spray across the hinge line, never directly down into the hinge line. As you pass the gun along the span of the wing (or stab), just cock your wrist slightly so the gun is angled away from you. When you hit the hinge line, you will spray at a slight angle and not get too much paint build up in the gap. I use Klass Kote epoxy and a few light passes are all it takes to get good coverage.

It just takes practice. Hope this helps.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
Thanks
Jim Vigani

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »
When using pin hinges, I normally paint all my control surfaces first then install the hinges.  Presently, I'm working on a model that I want to maiden in primer, then final paint after some test flights.  The plane is electric so there's no problem with getting oil on the finish.  Do I need to take any precautions to prevent the paint from affecting the hinges?

I think I remember hearing Bob Storick saying that he prepares the hinge slots and then uses a set of "painting hinges" he keeps around to temporarily mount the flaps to the wing and the elevator to the stab.  After the finish is cured and mostly rubbed out, he permanently installs the flaps and elevator with new hinges.  He puts the "painting hinges" in a box for the next project.

Did I get that right, Bob?  It is a clever idea and a good use for some of those hinge sets that are furnished with a kit but unuseable.
regards,
bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Remove the individual hinge pins and use a single long piece of music wire for each flap and elevator. Paul and Howard do this. It's brilliant. It allowed Howard to experiment with the servo tab flaps he's been using and liking. You might want to try bigger or smaller flaps, etc. Easy enough to experiment with this trick. The end of the wire is neatly bent twice at approx. 90 degrees and poke into an eyelet built into the wing/stab tips, looks fine. It won't be that hard to mask each hinge "knuckle".  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »
JFV:
I used to build like that all the time, then painting with technique like Ron suggests helps.

On a practical note, if you are using a dope finish it really does not stick to nylon hinges very well!  After painting you can go in with an Xacto and pick any offending paint off pretty easily...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here