News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint gun question  (Read 898 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Paint gun question
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
Hi ,

I'm considering purchasing an Iwata gravity feed gun for my painting jobs .
I'm wondering what aperture size I should get ( 1.0 mm or 1.3 mm) for shooting colours and clear coats ?
I'm also considering using a candy pearl additive(mica base) to my clears and was wondering if I might have to jump up the size of the spray nozzle aperture to over 1.4 mm ?

Thanks  y1
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Paint gun question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
for most cases, the smaller needle and tip set will be just fine. Perhaps for Dope you MAY want the larger one. In most cases you will be able to make the small one work with a slightly higher reduction of your material if needed. For spraying pearls in clear, I dont beleive that you will need a larger tip. I have sprayed lots of pearl through my Sata Minijet ,it has a small tip. In actuallity, the smaller tip generally will atomize better and make it easier to get even coverage with the pearls or candy for that matter. I would make a small reccomendation with regards to pearls. It is much easier to build them up on light coats, and make sure that you have clear with NO pearl over the top of the clear with pearl. If you dont, you will polish the pearls and they will tarnish.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »

Astro makes a pretty good copy. $$$!
 Got one. Sprays really nice.   Keith

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
Everyone is different... I love my DeVilbiss... I have very little orange peel with automotive clears.. so good that  polishing is often not necessary.
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »
I'm using a DeVilbiss and a Sata. Usually the Sata for clears and the DeVilbiss for colors. The Iwata is a pretty high end gun, wery good atomization. Pretty expensive, but like most things, you gets what you pay for.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign

Offline Keith Polzin

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »

It's the cat's axx. I got one. Iwata clone. Almost no overspray. Easy to set and
 use. Keith

30psi trigger pulled

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »
Is this gun a substitute of an HVLP. Is it used for trim work or the whole airplane. I see it says LVLP, Low volume low pressure? What are its advantages?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:50:52 AM »
The advantage on these types of guns: a whole lot more paint goes on the surface rather than on the floor. (less waste)  I too have the Devilbess brand HVLP guns. I have the Binks regular guns (which I understand they are out of business now, Binks). BUT, These gravity guns are sooo much better. We just painted my son's "SS" Chevy truck with the big gun and we are using the little gun to paint a built up Cardinal right now and they work Great! I see some good looking guns at our local Harbor Freight Store, Has any one tried them? I bought the name brand guns for parts or kit reasons for me. Good luck!
Terry B.

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Gentlemen ,

Thank you very much for your help concerning a paint gun choice .
I have decided to go with the Iwata HVLP 100 gun . It seems to be a good system .
I'll let you know how it goes in the later future .

Thanks again for all the help
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
Terry,
At the risk of reputation I have to tell you that I have two of the Harbor Frieght guns that I use all the time for finishing both the custom instruments I build and for my airplanes - they work fine for the money.
If I were still painting full scale airplanes I would need to go back to my monster Plummer gun, but these work fine for the small tasks and can be set way down, especially the smaller gun, for very little overspray.  My only recomendation is to run a bit more air pressure than they recommend while cutting the material.  Of course that varies depending on the material being sprayed but with a little experimenting you can make them do fine.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
>>they work fine for the money<<

I think this is quite true. For what you pay (what, $30?), they work OK. Not great, but OK. As I noted, I don't see the point in spending $400 or more for a spray gun unless you are already a master painter. There just isn't enough difference in a quality, mid-line gun and the more expensive ones until you have the knowledge and touch those more expensive units require. My opinion, of course. What I tell guys that ask is to get a good mid-line gun like Jaguar Mini-Jet or Finex or something. They run from $100-$150 and are quality pieces that work very well. Save the extra $200 for a better compressor.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here