News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Compressors  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint Compressors
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:53:44 PM »
Hi Robert, Guys

I'm curious about what is the minimum compressor that will adequately paint our models in the 500-700 Sq In range.
I kind of have my eye on a 10 Gal 3 Hp model at Harbour Freight, but I'm not sure a 10 Gal tank would be enough.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Jim Pollock   ???

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Paint Compressors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
Jim,
to a great extent the type or size of the compressor you need is hugely dependent upon what you are using for a spray gun. HVLP guns typically take a larger mass of air than a siphon feed old school gun, but at a lower pressure. For your best bet, look at the manual, or find it online for the spray gun you are using and it will tell you the PSI and CFM(cubic feet per minute) required to make your gun operate effectivly. The compressor will give you the max PSI and also list the rated CFM that it is capable of. If you are looking for something that will last long term, I would stay with a name brand compressor as not only are parts available to repair it, but it will typically not only last longer but also more likely honestly meet the listed specs.
good luck
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Mine is a Campbell Hausfield 5hp 20 gallon Extreme Duty cast iron compressor. That is the minimum for me.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:06 AM »
A good quality compressor will last many years. Mine is about 30 years old and it still works fine. I have had a few very minor repairs over the years but nothing major. Check oil regularly. It rarely requires any oil, but I drain and put in fresh oil every few years. Don't forget to drain the air tank regularly.  Some compressor come with a feature that blows out the moisture in the tank whenever it starts up shuts down. It can be added to any compressor. Keep the compressor clean and it will dissapate the heat better. You will need an air filter in the line going to the paint gun. along with a pressure regulator. Air filters vary considerably, buy the best one that you can justifiably afford.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:01 PM »
On the other end of the scale is the hopelessly small compressor/tank I've used for years. Believe it's a 3/4 horsepower 2 gallon. I start it up and let it rip. Using the pressure gauge near the gun I take my finger off the trigger, if pressure drops bellow 25 pounds. The configuration recycles often, but allows me to paint a profile fuse all right. Maybe one recycle per coat. Maybe none. I use a gravity feed Ingersol Rand touch up gun. The results look fine. I will upscale soon. The motor is loud. Still makes me flinch when it kicks in. I've kept to this arrangement since it takes up little space. My work area is a small room. Also, the compressor was given to me. Allowed me to learn paint thinning skills, pattern adjustment, distance at which to spray, in other words, a cheap way to gain a feel for the process. Similarly, my first paint gun was bought at a swap, brand new on the plastic display card, cost $10. Painted a lot with that. Did all right until gold dope fouled the hole, wouldn't clean out no matter how long it soaked or how thoroughly I scrubbed. I've learned a lot at little expense. No doubt I'll upgrade. Honestly though, why would you need a 30 gallon tank to put a coat of paint on a model airplane?   

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:41:59 PM »
first, let me say, if it is working for you stay with it. However, that being said, with regards to tank size on the compressor, the larger tank allows the motor and compressor to run less time. It also allows the suspended water in the air to cool and settle out of suspension thus eliminating some of the problems associated with water condensing at the gun and spitting water droplets into your finish. As with anything, you get what you pay for, a Fox .35 will fly a lot of planes, but a PA 40 will fly them better, does it make it neccessary, NO but does it make it more trouble free and enjoyable, YES. Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
Mine's a Sears job. 20 gallon, 2hp. Works fine. It's my second compressor. The first just didn't have enough poop for the HVLP guns.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 03:07:52 PM »
Spray paint requires feel, experience, at least it's been true for me, no instant decent result. Thinning, adding retarder, painting distance, gauging humidity in the air, adjusting pattern, all bearing on the state of the orange peel. A hundred and fifty dollar (and more) spray gun and big compressor certainly has a value. Jumping in and doing it on the cheap, especially when learning the basics, makes sense to me. Even a $10 spray gun and a small compressor will do a better finish than a brush. At least with the current state of the dope. My Ingersol Rand touch up gun cost fifty bucks at Lowes. Works quite well. As far as I can tell, it'll do a coat on a stunt plane in short order. The spray pattern is three to six inches. Bigger guns are probably a waste of paint on our sized projects. I've been planning on a bigger compressor for years. Trying to figure what size to lug up the narrow steps to the garret where I do models. Surprisingly the small compressor/tank has proven adequate.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »
My experience with paint guns.
I have both a DeVilbiss and a Binks canister type paint gun. Both of them work fine for painting something the size of a car. When I was restoring cars there were lots of small pieces to paint that didn't require a big gun, so I bought a $ 49.00 import gravity feed with a smaller container. It worked great. A friend of mine saw how good it worked so he bought an identical one. It was a piece of junk. The pattern looked like the spray from a garden hose. Paint guns like many other import items can vary greatly in quality. I picked up a very small gravity feed touch up gun at a swap meet last week. I gave 30 dollars for it, but I saw some later for $25 that looked identical. I have not tried it yet, but if it is any good it should be just right for painting models. Before I even take off the mask I dis assamble the gun and wash all the pieces in cheap lacquer thinner. I also clean out all the passages with a small bristle brush. When I reassemble it I use a very small amount of Vaseline on the needle. I then run some lacquer thinner through the gun. I know that even a little bit of oil or grease will leave a "fisheye". I always run a little lacquer through the gun before I paint. I have never had a problem with "fisheyes". Somewhat off the subject when I use a rattle can for painting I turn it upside down and blow what paint I can out of it as per instructions. I then pull the nozzle off and drop it in a small container of lacquer thinner. I use a small brush to clean the nozzle inside the can and blow every thing out with compressed air. Leave the nozzle out of the can and put it inside the cap. When you use it the next time it is just like using a new can. I buy cheap lacquer thinner for 15.00 per five gallon can. I suspect it is reprocessed, but it works fine for cleaning.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:37:15 PM »
I checked out a couple at Sears today.

$239 for 15 gallon.
$299 for 33 gallon.

It's not a matter of money, but it is a matter of dragging it up & down my basement stairs. 
I can handle the 15, but not the 33.

I figure to paint in the basement or back yard during fair weather and the basement in the dead of winter.
--------------------

Maybe it would be easier to talk Mr. Brodak into making spray clear.
Paul Smith

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »
Thanks, guys, for the information.  I'm in the market for a compressor, too.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline WestCoastOldie

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 12:20:43 AM »
Oh come on!

You don't have to take the compressor out to the back yard! What you need to do is buy some hose and add an adjustable pressure guage to your paint gun.

I have a Sears two stage compresor in my garage and I bought a 50 foot hose which I cut in half and added connectors to. 25 feet takes care of most of my needs and if I need a longer hose... Well, hose is cheap!

My comperssor is relatively quiet but in general,I want to be as far away from that pump as possible!

KWH
Ken Whitehawk

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »
I'm rather worried about installing the compressor in the garage.  44 degrees north latitude. Won't the air be too cold when it't piped into the house in the winter? 

How about water that collects in the tank freezing?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bad news for the LHS: 
Sig spray clear dope is on back order.  Sig says their source may have dried up.  This "buy the paint shop" deal may become mandatory.
Paul Smith

Offline WestCoastOldie

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »
My point was that you can install the compressor wherever you please and spray paint at a distance as long as you have enough pressure at the gun.

As to tank-water freezing.... All of the compressors that I've been around are equiped with switches and drains. Using them properly will solve most of the problems.

Whawk
Ken Whitehawk

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »
When I built my garage, I installed hardline for a compressor to be placed in the garage and plugged into the line. There are pressure outlets in my shop. The hope was that I could flip the compressor on and it was away from the paint and such, down in the cool garage and I could just hook up to the line in the shop. It will work fine once I buy one of those cool upright compressors with the two stage motors. The little Sears I have right now won't handle the volume.

Take a look at the lastest Eastwood catalog. If I ever have the money, I know what spray gun and compressor I'll get.    #^
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
When I bought my compressor, I chose the largest one I could afford. I have never been sorry for that decision. I also built a special building behind my shop for the compressor. I ran two PVC pipes from building to building. The tubing is packed with insulation around the copper pipe air line and the wiring. When the compressor comes on it is not loud enough to interfere with a normal conversation.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here