News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nose construction  (Read 1495 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Nose construction
« on: March 12, 2007, 08:23:46 PM »
I'm planning to build another tuned piped plane and was curious about what some of you guys are using for nose doublers (1/16 ply or ????)?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Nose construction
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:19:03 PM »
James,
I guess that would depend on what size airplane you're building.  A 40 size or so I use 1/64 ply and larger planes like my ST51 powered Harbinger I used 1/32.  My Agenda 75 a 660 sq in PA 75 powered plane uses 1/32.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »
My bad, I should have included the engine.  It will be either the VF 40 or the PA 61(most likely the 61).  The plane will be another Tempest 2.

Did you use any carbon laminated between the balsa/ply.

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:34:31 PM »
My bad, I should have included the engine.  It will be either the VF 40 or the PA 61(most likely the 61).  The plane will be another Tempest 2.

Did you use any carbon laminated between the balsa/ply.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

I have built 6 or 8 of Randy's planes and have used his CF/balsa front end on them all.  Never a problem, and I have seen way too many others built this same way fom 40 to 75 power piped and non.  The original SV-11s had this nose construction and were running ST 60s with out engine run issues.  Plywood is not a *necessity* in nose construction.  The new smooth running engines have never caused a problem in any nose built like this that I have seen.  I use it with out hesitation.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 04:18:14 AM »
Since we are talking about noses, to glass or not glass. When or not when. Will the right balsa preclude glass and specifically which grade?
Thanks
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Since we are talking about noses, to glass or not glass. When or not when. Will the right balsa preclude glass and specifically which grade?
Thanks
Wayne Buran

Hi Wayne,

Just the "Blind Hog" here, but fiberglassing the nose doesn't seem to be as necessary for the *strength* with these smooth running engines as it did with the ST 60s and such.  But, having said that, I always do it *at least* to cut down on the problems of handling the nose area.  I guess old habits die hard, and it never hurts!  Also, 5 tenths CF veil seems to do well in replace of the FG, and finishes a bit quicker/easier it seems.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
Bill, the nose on my impact held up well, I used CF veil between the balsa and doubler with no cracking issues. But there are finger dents, so the question is which balsa weight should I use for the fuse sides so maybe I dont have to glass.
Thanks
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »
Bill, the nose on my impact held up well, I used CF veil between the balsa and doubler with no cracking issues. But there are finger dents, so the question is which balsa weight should I use for the fuse sides so maybe I dont have to glass.
Thanks
Wayne Buran

"c" grain is what I always use for sides.  It is a *little* harder.  But all my "serious" planes which will get handled a lot (hopefully!) have .5oz glass or CF veil put on with Z-Poxy.  That stops the fingernail marks and such.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 04:32:15 AM »
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here