News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NOSE ART HELP NEEDED---  (Read 2218 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NOSE ART HELP NEEDED---
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »
Here I am again. I'm out beggin' for more help. This time it's nose art. I've always wanted to do a airplane nose like the one attached. However, as you can see by my drawing I can get the idea on paper. I did the best I could with  the flames but, they just ain't right. The whole idea needs to be refined.

IS THERE AN ARTIST IN THE CROWD? :!

A note to WWWARBIRD------What markings would this plane have if it were the president's jet and he flew it around at airshows. If possible I would like to put the new letters and emblems to fit right into the spaces already alotted to them.

A note to ya'll-----I'm really trying hard to get a cool model out of this project. I realize that I am not talented enough to get this right with out help. Good help. That's why I'm here.
THANKYOU 8)

Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: NOSE ART HELP NEEDED---
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »
Hi Frank,

You can sketch your art on the nose with a "SOFT" pencil.  Tape to those lines and mask it off.  The pencil lines will not hurt a thing as long as you don't dent the finish with the pencil.

If you have an airbrush (a must for flames) then start with the lightest color and fade the next over it, and so on until you are to your darkest "solid" color.

Harder to write than do!  ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
Thanx Bill, That's how I'll do it.

NOW............will someone please redraw this nose art and make it look KEWL.

A little while ago I redrew the eagle.  How's this?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:33:42 PM by frank carlisle »
Frank Carlisle

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
Frank,
You would simply change the U.S. AIR FORCE on the nose to read U.S. TAX DOLLARS.
Seriously, that's kind of a tough one to answer. I would probably use Air Force One as a guideline if I was going to do something like that. I'm no good at drawing eagle's heads or any animals or people for that matter. I would probably hit the local Harley dealer and snoop around for some reference on that. They put eagle designs on tons of their stuff from T-shirt designs to air cleaners to a--wipe. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »
Wayne--here is what it would look like (only better). Same paint job ..........aye?
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
MOVING RIGHT ALONG.......................Opinions please.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
Frank, you have come up with another totaly stunning paint scheme. (with help from wwwarbird, I know).

The Eagle head is a wicked cool idea. I like the shield and red and white striped stars behind the eagles' head. But, if I were to steal your idea, I would leave the three stars at the bottom off. the stars and stripes are enough imo. I think it gets too "busy"

you asked. other than that, I approve of your paint scheme, you may continue  y1    **)

Greg  ;D
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
Frank, just saw this thread and if you aren't too far along I may be able to help.. First off the attached eagle is one that one of our club members enhanced from a graphic he found on the web. Might give you an idea.. 2nd.. some time ago I purchased a CD full of flame drawings and can probably come up with something that will fit..

Offline Bob Johnson

• Lieutenant
  • Lone Eagle Stunt Flyers -Have stooge. will travel.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 08:23:18 AM »
Just a small question, are you wanting a stylized/semi-cartoonish eagle head or a more refined realistic rendering? The reason I ask is that the more realistic rendering will require more subtile airbrush techniques. In either case I could lend a hand. I would request that you send the side profile of the nose from the plans so i have an exact idea of the area involved. Let me know. You can see a small sample of my work at www.wiu.edu/art/facultyhtml/johnson_artwork.htm   Hope this works out for you, the plane should be a killer. All the best.
Bob

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »
Frank
That artwork is looking really AWESOME!!! ;D j1
Jim

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 12:40:57 PM »
Just a small question, are you wanting a stylized/semi-cartoonish eagle head or a more refined realistic rendering? The reason I ask is that the more realistic rendering will require more subtile airbrush techniques. In either case I could lend a hand. I would request that you send the side profile of the nose from the plans so i have an exact idea of the area involved. Let me know. You can see a small sample of my work at www.wiu.edu/art/facultyhtml/johnson_artwork.htm   Hope this works out for you, the plane should be a killer. All the best.
Bob

Styized will do fine---there is a full scale bomber that has an eagle on the nose, wish I could find it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
screaming eale B-25J mitchell gunship..... I am currently building one for my first twin stunter.....72" span two brodak 40s...colours will be as attached here...

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:53:43 AM »
Frank,

Your stripes slant aggressively forward. I think the base of the flames as you draw them are nearly vertical. Would they look more in kind if also leaning forward?

Capish?
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
Thanks Wynn--that's it exactly.

Yes Ward--I agree. The base line of thhose flames shouls slant forward.

It's beginning to look like I'll be staying with the original art and skipping the eagle.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »
Hey Frank,
I think your original scheme is tight!!I think it would look great if you kept the USAF on the wing, and go with the AMA# smaller on the top outboard/outside rear flap area. The USAF flows with the spelled out US AIR FORCE on the fuse pretty well!!Just my opinion....What ever you do I know is gonna look great anyhow!!
RG
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 06:48:05 AM »
Thanks for the input Richard.............I'll be getting to the wings next week....... j1
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the input Richard.............I'll be getting to the wings next week....... j1

Frank, you do know that it is perfectly legal to apply your AMA number to the rudder/fin area as long as they are 1" high numbers.  It would look very "authentic" to do that as it would go right along with the USAF theme.  The rule book allows AMA numbers to be applied to the rudder/fin, fuselage side, OR upper right wing.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here