Online Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
spars
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:27 AM »
I finally got a kit that I wanted for a long time
I have to take a couple lazer cut 1/4 and laminate them to get 1/4 by half
Any  recommendations on how to hold small thin parts and keep them square and straight
any pictures
I do not have a router or a long straight board to cut a groove in
Fred Q

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: spars
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:49:54 AM »
Go get a long straight edge ruler from the local home improvement store, or some angle aluminum (or steel).  Using a flat building surface and some weights, pins, or clamps build against the straight edge.  If you put a coat of car wax onto these tools regularly glue will never stick.

If you have to put an angle into the joint for tapering (or dihedral) then use 2 straight edges fastened at the proper angle.  I draw directly onto the building surface to construct the desired angle.

Some plastic, wax paper, or Glad Press-N-Seal will keep the work from gluing to the building surface.

sorry, no pictures.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »
+1 on the technique -- it's what I do.  I have lots and lots of small, heavy bits of scrap metal that I use for this.

If you're using something other than epoxy or CA to laminate the spars, you don't have to wax the straightedge.  Epoxy would be too heavy anyway, unless you're really aggressive about controlling thickness.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
I now use parchment paper to keep from gluing stuff to surfaces.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 11:31:13 PM »
Although this photo shows an old spar end being grafted onto a new straighter piece of stock, it is the same set-up and appearance of when I laminated two pieces to form a larger cross-sectioned spar. The aluminum measuring sticks were sufficient in weight and thickness to hold the bottom piece straight. The weights held the hand-positioned top piece flat and in place. Today I made a straighter spar-like piece by using the top edge of an aluminum level set on edge as the lower surface (instead of table top, which  has a slight sag) and aligned the bottom ply piece with one edge of the level. I used the same weights. However, I didn't photograph it. I used epoxy, having had warping problems with water-based glues in similar applications.

SK

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
a builders Spirit Level , if it hasnt been used as a crow bar , can be usefull for laminateing on .

Done Spruce capped I beam spars on these . One with vertical grain 3/32 shear web & 1/16 ply intermittent spacers/ braces , 1/4 Sq. spuce top & bottom.

The Other a 1/4 sheet spar with ply joiners , bellcrank cut out , & 3/8 x 1/8 spruce top & bottom . Tapered . Taped and packed / Measured central on the flat of the level .

Just joinig / laminating untapered strips youd use a corner as an edge to keep em straight . Really Mean & you can clamp to it . Use a pine batten or suchlike .
Clamps direct on the balsa leave clampmarks & youre aiming for the pressue even along the join .

add = Scrap Barrel at the Aluminum Joinery Co in N.Z. is a good source of long straight angles , rectangles & tubes. and not so long ones . D>K ribbed angles for clamping , I guess . Usually FREE .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:12:20 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Good idea! I should get a second level bar! (to use as base surface and uniform weight)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:15:07 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here