News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Toad  (Read 26396 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
New Toad
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm well into the new plane. Tail section completed (and pretty light, surprisingly). Fuse box completed and the blocks are tacked on awaiting shaping (as plugs for molded top and bottom blocks) and the wing is started. This is something of a departure stylistically for me. Pretty much the same aerodynamics as the last plane but hopefully a lot lighter. Any interest in pictures? Not a lot different than previous stuff I've posted at this point so not innovative building stuff. I was going to just wait to take pics until it was done, but someone asked about it in email so I thought I'd ask here.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Toad
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
Hi Randy....yes please post pics.  Your builds are always inspireing and as a lone builder way out in the boonies, its always appreciated to be taken into anothers shop.  So please....post away! I am looking forward to it all ready! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
 Your build pics are always interesting Randy, let's see'em! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
Here it is the 23rd and no pictures yet! mw~  I know there is the time zone difference. S?P Will be looking for the pics. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
How could we not want to see your build pics?  Post away!! H^^
Matt Colan

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm well into the new plane.

Post those pics. There is no such thing as a stunt flyer that doesn't want to see construction pics!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
WO HOOO Randys gonna post some risque airplane pictures again,, snicker,, just love them bare balsa pictures,, come on Randy lets see em, I have been hearing about this new lowrider,, I want to see it!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:37 AM »
OK, I'll take some pics tomorrow.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »
your such a tease Randy,, sheesh
I should talk, I haven posted any picts of my Electrajet either,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
Another day waiting for pictures of naked airplane models. #^ #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
OK, here are a couple of pictures. The wing is just started. the stab, elevator and rudders are done pretty much except final sanding - one elevator needs to be peeled a bit more, but it's close. I was pretty proud of this. The overall weight of the stab, elevator and rudders with hinges and control horn is a shade over 3oz. That's the second set of elevators - I wasn't very happy with the first set. Not light enough. The fuse box is done as you see. Just started shaping the blocks (these are going to be forms for molded top and bottom blocks. A lot to do yet.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
Forgot to say: notice the little gap on the rudder? I left a 1/16" all the way around so I could get them perfectly aligned. The first set I build was cut to fit exactly, but that didn't really work out.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
OK, here are a couple of pictures. The wing is just started. the stab, elevator and rudders are done pretty much except final sanding - one elevator needs to be peeled a bit more, but it's close. I was pretty proud of this. The overall weight of the stab, elevator and rudders with hinges and control horn is a shade over 3oz. That's the second set of elevators - I wasn't very happy with the first set. Not light enough. The fuse box is done as you see. Just started shaping the blocks (these are going to be forms for molded top and bottom blocks. A lot to do yet.
Very interested in details of your wing construction.  
I see the stack of rib strips, all the same cut with a template for the root rib ?  
Length is trimmed from the tail at the TE right ?
LE and TE, 3-piece Tee section?  
What about the spar ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
 Thanks for the pics, looks like you've got another super cool design in the works here Randy. The I-beam stuff is way over my head but it does make for cool looking airplanes. What do you mean by "peeling" the elevators more? I'm also curious, if the fuse blocks are just going to end up being mold bucks, is there a reason you don't just do the pink foam thing?

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »
OK, questions:

Allan first. Yes, the ribs are cut in a jig from the same template plate. The strip ribs are marked at the high point and that is maintained down the notional wing spar to maintain an accurate taper. So the ribs are actually cut at the front and rear to maintain the high point accurately. This wing is pretty severely tapered vertically. The leading and trailing edge are made from 3 pieces. A top and bottom piece and a sort of spacer tab for the jig to hold onto. It also allows a guide for the center of the section. Nice when you go to putting hinge slots (or in this case holes) in. The spar is put in after the ribs are in. It will become evident when I post pictures of it. The spar is an 1/8" x 1/4" piece of spruce or possible hard balsa with some CF laminated on(depending on what I decide when I get there) and either a warren truss section or with this one a sheer web. It sort of just grows as I go.

Warbird. the outboard elevator is just a bit thicker at the trailing edge than the inboard one. I need to thin it a bit. I'm using balsa for the bucks because I had this wood that wasn't really suitable for actually staying on a plane (like 10lb stock). Might as well use it for bucks. Besides, it's easier to get shaped right. I've used pink and gray foam for bucks but it usually requires some formers and more work than this. Here's another pic that sort of shows the taper on the elevator.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
Very cool Randy, looking forward to some more bone pic.   

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »

This wing is pretty severely tapered vertically. The leading and trailing edge are made from 3 pieces. A top and bottom piece and a sort of spacer tab for the jig to hold onto. It also allows a guide for the center of the section. Nice when you go to putting hinge slots (or in this case holes) in.

The vertical taper, anything special you have to do for accuracy with that,  or is it automatic as you trim the rib length ?
What will be your spar layout, perpendiculat to fuse,  parrallel to LE, somewhere in between ?   Do you think a curved spar would work with this,  like if you were following an eliptical LE ?

I just realized something else about the rib strips.  The airfoil shape would all be the same if the ribs were arranged straight.  But with the truss layout, would there not be a different airfoil curve for the ribs angled in vs the ribs angled out ?   I'm guessing its so small that you have a little fat built into the height of the rib strips and you sand it out with a long straight sanding bar.  Or is it so small of a difference that it doesnt even show up ?

What weight balsa do you use for the rib strips ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
Allan,

Hmmm. Well, on the truss ribs, the change in ellipse from rib to rib is pretty small. Once it's all built, a long sanding bar levels them. But the amount of material taken off is really small. It's more about making sure all the rib tops are flat and level to each other. When you set them up as a truss, the top of the rib is out of level to the glue surface of the sheeting. But it's not much. Maybe a degree or two. So just a couple of passes from a long sanding bar will level them. As far as taper accuracy, If you keep the mark on the rib in line (mark is at high point of the airfoil and marks the location of the spar), the taper happens all on it's own. Following the high point actually gives the spar a slight sweep. Not much. A degree or two. Interestingly, I built my last elliptical plane the same way and the spar, following the high point of the airfoil, ended up being elliptically curved. That was fun to frame up.

A note on balsa weights. The stuff I'm using for the ribs is medium hard 3/32". About 8lb. stock. It's been my experience that you can go with really light wood and make ribs (or other parts for that matter) that include a lot more wood to maintain structural integrity or use heavier, harder balsa and use much less wood. You will notice that a lot of my structures are pretty spidery. It's because if you use pretty hard wood, you can use a lot less of it. Wish I would have taken a picture of the stab frame before I sheeted it. Wasn't much there. Just enough to hold the sheeting up. The sheeting on the stab was really light (less than 3lb stock). I put some CF tow on the inside of the sheeting (truss pattern) to aid in torsional stability. Didn't take much and the stab is very, very torsionally stable. I figured with those rudders out there, it needed to be. Strangely, the elevators are just 3lb stock sheet half inch balsa with hardwood inserts for the control horn. The first set of elevators was framed up with an open rib structure, but there were pretty flexy and the things ended up heavier than the sheet version shown. I had to brace up the first version so much that whatever I gain in rigidity, I lost in overall weight.

Hey, sometimes simpler is better. And as I said, the overall weight of the tailplane with rudders, hinges and control horn was a fat 3oz. I'll take that.

I have a really weird idea for the structure of the flaps that I'm going to try. We'll see how that works out.

edit

Forgot to add, the hinges are Robart pin hinges. I like these. They are very easy to align and with the little drill guide that came with the pack, easy to center.

BTW, the rudders are made from 2 sheets of 3/16" sheet, tacked together and shaped then split and hogged out. There was just enough material left to insure that when the clear is painted on, it won't warp (happens when you get too zealous in thinning balsa). Both rudders together weighed less than a 1/4oz.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm liking your wing structure.  Gonna give it a try on my next project.

I used the Robart hinge points for the stab/elevator only as an experiment on a Magnum I built couple of years ago.  Worked out OK.  Later used them when I built a profile Stearman (D.Hutchinson design).   I used some sections of Evergreen plastic tubing to build in sockets for the hinge points. That made it easy to finish first and install the hinges last.  You can see the plastic tubes in the picture

Will be watching for your "weird flap desigh".   The flaps I built for the RMD came out good but they were labor intensive.  Looking for a better way.

Talking about weird, you naming this one "Toad"  ???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:49:34 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Allan,

No, not naming it "Toad". But they are all toads until they prove otherwise. The RMD was called the toad until I flew it, then it was called Baby.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:49 AM »

Looking at the one picture of your wing structure, I have another question.  On the LE I see that the middle spine of the Tee section provides a seat to locate front of rib strips vertically.  But on the TE, you have the middle spine on outside in the jig blocks.  So how do you locate the rear of the rib strips vertically ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
Allan,

Well, it's hard to see in the picture. Both the leading edge and trailing edge have a pencil mark that runs the length of the piece that is a 1/16" below the top. I align the rib with the line. This gives a gap for the sheeting to slip into. As it turned out, I probably didn't need the line since the bottom of the rib aligns pretty well with the line created by the center piece. But I'm a belt AND suspenders sort of guy (as Justin Wilson used to say). I'll see if I can get a picture from the end of the wing. It's pretty obvious from that view.

No work last night. Came home to no power. Power came back on around 10:30pm. We've had some interesting weather the last few days.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
weather? is THAT what you call it over there, over here we call it one step short of a hurricane lol,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I came home last night to having to park my car at the end of the road, hike home, grab my chain saw and start cutting so I could drive my car to the driveway. 5 down trees across the road. Wind, rain, wind and power lines down or damaged. The power company was there about 10 minutes after me and were working on the line. Only took them about 5 hours to re-string the line and get the power back on. I'm hoping, with the wind howling outside the office right now that there will be power when I get home tonight. Joy!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
As a side note, this is one of those planes that I had the paint scheme picked out almost before I had it drawn. Should be fun. I hope to finish the wing by the end of the week and have it together into something that looks vaguely like a plane soon after. This is the first plane that I really did all the nit-picky work prior to starting construction of the airframe. Controls, leadout guide (a trick idea all in itself), landing gear blocks and covers, engine mounting and some other stuff all done before I cut the first piece of balsa. Probably why it seems to be going pretty fast.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »
As a side note, this is one of those planes that I had the paint scheme picked out almost before I had it drawn. Should be fun.

Sounds really familiar Randy. A lot of my models are a direct result of having a paint scheme idea in mind and then deciding what plane I'd like to see it on. Or, wanting to use that really cool spinner on the shelf, or a certain set of wheels, or a certain engine, or...

Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve this time. y1

I'm never gonna run out of stuff to build. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
Well, I haven't been out to the shop since Sunday. The weather stinks and I'm low on motivation.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
tsk tsk tsk,, sounds like its time for a call from Pat and I to get you motivated,, either that or my pictures of the Electrajet just put you in a funk,, lol,,  VD~

ok, well I understand actually, I was all pumped to get the profile done so I could test fly before winter,, now this crap weather, well its hard to be motivated, though I am supposed to do a iron on covering demo for my RC club next tuesday, my plan was to cover the wing for the Electrajet,, hmm guess I better get motivated, unless somebody needs a wing covered that I can use for a demo? #^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
Mark,

OK, I spent a few hours out there today. Hope to spend some more tomorrow.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »
Good Job Randy, did you watch the Huskie game while you were working? how did they fair.
I got a touch done on the profile,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
Ha, ha, Mark. So, both the Huskies and the Cougars are doo-doo.

Allan,

Here are a couple of pics of the wing detail. This should make what I was saying above clear.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
Can you take a close up picture of the tip rib ?   What is size of the spars ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
I'll take a pic of the tip next time I go out. The spars are 1/4" x 1/8". I ended up deciding on some very hard balsa for this. I had cut out some spruce for this, but the balsa was MUCH lighter and nearly as strong.

Since this pic was taken, I have finished the spar. There are uprights located at the rib positions and vertical sheer web that runs up to the rib level that will connect with the leading edge sheeting. Pretty strong and fairly light method to do this. Next time, though, I think I'll put a more pronounced shelf on the inside of the leading edge and trailing edge. When I was putting in the ribs, using a guide to insure that where the rib connected to leading edge and trailing edge would give me a flush mount to the surface, it was a real pain getting them to be accurate. I think with a shelf, it would make it easier.

I like the building method because it very light and very easy to keep straight. For me, accuracy is more important than anything else so I tend to sacrifice everything else to accuracy and lightness.

Edit

I should add that this plane will be about 620 square inches. I'm (at this point anyway) hoping for a weight around 52-54oz. The original Slider weighed this and was a great flier. May end up following Will Hinton and refinishing that one. So far, it seems on track.

Go Boise State Broncos! (sort of have to root for them since my wife and sister-in-law graduated from there and my father-in-law taught there - besides, the Huskies stink).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:36:24 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »
OK, the wing is ready for sheeting finally. So far, as it's sits in the jib, it weighs ~4oz. Should be about to come in under 10oz (it's waiting for sheeting and tips, slider and tip weight box). Started shaping the fuse blocks (they will be pried off and made into molds for molded top and bottom blocks).

Oh yea, just for Mark Scarborough, it's going to have an actual canopy.

Oops, almost forgot, Allan wanted a close up of the wing tip. This is the inboard end. The spar web here is a piece of basswood cut for the leadout sweep. Pardon my messiness. The CA bottle sort of blew up.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »

Oh yea, just for Mark Scarborough, it's going to have an actual canopy.

ah gee, for me,,  Randy how cool,, ;)
The COugs looked like they were going to,, ah,, well ok they could have,, sigh,,
well there is always the apple cup,,
Its lookin pretty sweet so far Randy,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
 Neato! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »
Randy:

In the photo of the fuselage there is a blue plane shown.  What brand of plane is it and from whom is it available?

As always, your work is simply impeccable.  I find it simultaneously depressing and inspirational, mostly the latter.  Thank you for the photos.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:21 AM »
Mark,

Well, I have hopes that the doggies will run the rest of the table and finally make a bowl. But hey, the Broncos look good, anyway.

Peter,

That is an ancient Tatone Razorplane. I've had that thing since I was in high school. Uses old double edged razor blades. I've thought of replacing it several times, but then don't since it works really well. As double edged razor blades are starting to get harder to find (I get them from a local drug store) I may have to replace it eventually.

I should note that you may notice that the sheer web is probably 10 different colors. I used scrap 1/16" balsa and choose the pieces more for hardness than color. So I ended up with all kinds of color variation. Looks sort of weird to me, but the stuff is all about the same hardness. Also, you may note that there is one patch that is sort of green colored. That's some 1/64" plywood that is on both sides of the sheer web. It's where the gear leg mount is located. I used a surface mount gear block (white oak, weirdly) and it has a sort of sloping leg on the inside that has the anchor for the gear leg near the top of the wing. This allows a very long gear leg (about 2") and a lot of leverage to protect the area in the case of a hard landing.

Just need to go over the wing once more with a long "T" block sanding bar to insure all is level (though it's pretty close now) and I can start sheeting the wing. This will probably wait until I have the fuse blocks done, popped off and set up as mold bucks. One thing I will say is those are the absolute smoothest controls I've ever built. If I can get the stinking hinges aligned right, it should have very fluid feel.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:24:04 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »
Randy:

Thank you for the information about the plane.  I suspect I won't find one for sale any time soon.

You might well be aware of this source, but A2Z Corp - - http://www.a2zcorp.us  - -  sells two different types of double edge razor blades.  One brand, Candidius, is carbon steel.  They are thin and very sharp.  The other is an extra thick double edge blade that is sold for use in a Solingen razor plane.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »
Hi Ty,

It's built in place You have to be careful not to press on the thing when attaching it to the ribs since it can pull the rib down and accurately cut rib strips are important. I used a pretty hard piece of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa for the spar cap, some upright pieces of the same material between the ribstrips for support and then the sheer web. Pretty light overall. I expect the wing (about 620 square inches) to come in well under 10oz.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
The build is looking great.  The pane looks just like the one I have in the shop.  Folks got one like it off a TV ad back in the early 50's.  Have lost count of how many blades have went thru it.   I also found my book from Tom Morris that I got at the last NATS I attended.  Looks like you and him are on the same wave length as far as construction of the wing.  Even tho he says it takes little time, it is time consuming building a straight wing with that construction method.  In one of the articles he states he cuts ribs and peices for several hours before ever setting up the jig.  In one pic he shows 10 wings that were made in one day.  Anyway, keep the pictures coming. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
Doc,

Yea, I have a number of jigs to cut parts. Makes it go faster and is more accurate. But it is still a method that takes some time. The upside is, it always comes out straight and is generally light.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »
Well I may be doing that construction method soon.  Reorganizing the shop I found the work bench I assembled before moving stuff in.   Would you beleive I found 5 brand new engines I don't remember buying.  Also plans that were misplaced.  Hope I live long enough to get the shop done. n~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »
Doc,

Yea, I look at all the planes I want to build and fly and sometimes wonder if I'll live long enough to get to half of them.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Hey Randy, It looks great. I love seeing the building part as well as the finished model. I have a question on the wing. The formers that are at an angle are they a different shape then the straight formers in the wing ?

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
Jim,

If you are talking about the wing, then all the ribs are from the same template. If you scan back in the thread, you'll see that they are all marked at the high point and cut from the front and the back to maintain taper.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
Well, the wing is mostly done. Man, that's a lot of work. But I weighted just before taking the last picture (and putting it back into the jig) and it's right at 8.5oz, so I'm not complaining. Just keep the tip weight down and I could be in business.

So, here's a couple of pics. the first is the top done, the second the bottom before sheeting and the last with it almost done. Just a few cap strips to go and the tips.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
 Lookin' good! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
Just gotta love those geodetic structures.  They are so beautiful.  Thanks for taking the time to share your build with us. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
One minor note. You may notice in the second picture the trailing edge sheer web. I found that it's a lot easier to cut the vertical sheer web then cap it with balsa on both sides prior to installing. There's a 1/16" square cap on the top and bottom of the vertical grain sheer web. Makes it a LOT easier to install prior to the trailing edge sheet being installed. A LOT.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here