News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need CA Help!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Lee Thiel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Need CA Help!
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »
I have been using CA for about 4 years with mostly good luck and a few stuck fingers.  Lately I have had problems with it sticking anything together except fingers.  I have tried 3 different brands of the thin (instant) and am getting almost to the point of violence.  If I use a little it doesn't stick, if use lots, it does't stick.  If I use a heat gun and clamps or pins it will bond, but not like it should.  I never see the little puff of smoke that I used to see either.  Could my building room be to cool?  It is between 60 and 65 degrees.  I have even put the bottle of CA in very warm water, and that didn't see, to help any either.  Surely 3 different brands can't all be bad,,,can they?
Lee TGD HB~> HB~> HB~>
AMA791773CD

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Re: Need CA Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:24:46 PM »
Have you tried any of the spray bottle Kickers yet? I assume it's still available.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
Not sure where you live,but a lack of moisture will make it more difficult for the CA to kick. I beleive that it is the moisture in the substrate that kicks the adhesive.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
Thanks Mark and Elwyn,  Somebody else mentioned that the wood may be to dried out for an instant bond. I finally got all the cap strips bonded and I think thats about all that I will use the CA for now. I will try it out on some other wood I have and see how that works. Sheesh, with all the rain we have had here lately, I would (wood) think it should have absorbed some of the moisture in the air.  ;D
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »
Your CA has gone stale.  With age especially after opening CA's abilty to catalyze deteriorates. Unsatisfactory performance can be expected as early as about 60 days.  Yes it seems to work better than ever on your fingers.  The lower price brands seem to deteriorate sooner.

Suggest purchasing smaller bottles.  Store in a freezer until opened.

Clayton Smith
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:54:31 PM »
I also agree on the freezer storage. However...

Make sure you allow it to return to room temperature before open the bottle! Don't ask how I know!

Robert
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:58:34 AM by Robert McHam »
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:29:02 AM »
The ol' brittle-bottle burst?  I've done that one.

The most amusing CA incident I've had is when I glued both hands to the bench.  It was late at night, I was in the basement, and my wife was sleeping in the room above.  Somehow I woke her up, which is nontrivial.  She came downstairs, got the nitro out of the nearby cabinet, and gave it to me.  The amusing part is how she treated the entire incident as routine. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:29:50 PM »
Ahh. Both hands!

Watch out for the kicker. Keeping a hand too close to a kicking joint can cause a nasty burn. It gets hot!

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »
It is also highly recommended that one make sure one's hands are totally free of CA prior to relieving one's self. n~

Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »
The most amusing CA incident I've had is when I glued both hands to the bench.  It was late at night, I was in the basement, and my wife was sleeping in the room above.  Somehow I woke her up, which is nontrivial.  She came downstairs, got the nitro out of the nearby cabinet, and gave it to me.  The amusing part is how she treated the entire incident as routine. 
[/quote]

That one reminds me of the story Windy tells about setting a 2 oz. bottle of CyA on the stool in his workshop. He forgot it was there and sat down on it. The results are much funnier now than then . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »
Thick CA pretty much stays put where you drop it. Last six months or so I've switched to using the thick stuff most of the time. The mystic travels of thin CA, got tired of trying to out think the wick and drip.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here