News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Necessary to adhere film covering to open bay ribs?  (Read 631 times)

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Necessary to adhere film covering to open bay ribs?
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Good Afternoon all;

Covering open bay wing with plastic film covering...  Obviously the covering is adhered around the perimeter, but is it also necessary (or recommended) to adhere it to the individual ribs (half-ribs as applicable)?

My 'gut' tells me that adhering it to the ribs will increase the torsional rigidity and stiffness of the wing...

If the answer is yes, should it be adhered prior to shrinking the covering, or after?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Necessary to adhere film covering to open bay ribs?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
I don't feel it's necessary, and unless you do a really good job finishing the edges of the ribs, it looks better not to.

If you need to cut into the wing for a repair then nail it down around the spot you're going to cut, otherwise don't.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Necessary to adhere film covering to open bay ribs?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
  It's best to NOT stick iron coverings to anything but the perimeter of what you are covering, until you have shrunk in sufficiently to remove any wrinkles. You get best shrinkage that way. If you seal it to each rib and spar first, you get less shrinkage, and only in the area surounded by where it is sealed. I have learned to always pull iron on coverings as tight as possible while initially attaching, get the wrinkles out that way first, and save some shrinking ability for down the road when the sun and heat makes it relax a bit. Once it is shrunk, then seal to the ribs, spars, etc. if you feel you have to, and on some designs, it is necessary for strength and twist resistance and strength.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here