News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neat method to cut covering material  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
Neat method to cut covering material
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »
I really like to work with light weight coverings, silk, glass, etc. But my hands are either too rough or scissors too dull, I always seem to have problems with getting a nice straight cut without chards. So, a quick trip to Wall Mart sewing department, I picked up a nice 36"X36" dimensioned cutting pad and a nifty pizza-like razor sharp cutting tool. This tool is designed specifically for cutting fabric laid out on the pad. So, now, I just measure, lay out the material and have neat straight, chard free cuts, every time. Neat!
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Neat method to cut covering material
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:07:40 AM »
Yup. This is the way to do it. I've been raiding my wifes' craft supplies for years and this was one of the best in her stash. What really ticks her off is having to come out to the shop to retrieve her stuff. ;D
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »
I really like to work with light weight coverings, silk, glass, etc. But my hands are either too rough or scissors too dull, I always seem to have problems with getting a nice straight cut without chards. So, a quick trip to Wall Mart sewing department, I picked up a nice 36"X36" dimensioned cutting pad and a nifty pizza-like razor sharp cutting tool. This tool is designed specifically for cutting fabric laid out on the pad. So, now, I just measure, lay out the material and have neat straight, chard free cuts, every time. Neat!
Jim

D>K Kool stuff Jim. I am on my way to get me one!! y1
AMA 12366

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »
One other small hint working with these, if you lay the material between two layers of cheap tissue paper it makes it really easy to handle things like .5 ozglass cloth. then you can leave the cloth between the sheets until you use it. that way you can roll it up and protect it untilo you are ready for it. Works great to have everything prepped before starting to glass something
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »
Gotta go to Walmart this afternoon. Just might have to pick up one of these.  Man can never have too many tools, gadgets, whatevers.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
The dimensioned cutting pad and pizza-like razor cutter (can't remember what the seamstress's call it), is also very useful for laying out and cutting tracing paper outlines from plans for parts and paint schemes.
Jim 
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
These types of devices are known as "Rotary fabric Cutters" or "Rotary Shears" and one of the best is made by Fiskars. You can also get seperate blades with differnt profiles, I know that a "Pinking edge" blade is available, along with a scallop edge and various others.  If your wife already has the handle, you can buy your own blades and not be accused of "Ruining my good craft tools with your darn airplane building".

Or you can buy your significant other one of these, and score some points, then get your own blades for when you use it.

Myself- I just sneak it out of her cabinet and put it back when I'm done- but I thrive on Danger!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here