News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Banshee Bash!  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Tim Redelman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
My Banshee Bash!
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
I building what amounts to my first full size stunter.

As a kid I played with the cox stuff and Carl Goldberg Planes. Mainly a Lil' Jumpin Bean a Swordsman 18 and a Lil' satan.

Lately I've been flying a lot of Brodak arfs and a couple others. I always wanted to build one from the ground up but always had other projects etc..... So this is my shot at building a Sig Banshee.

Now having had a personal resurgence in this part of the hobby I've been reading Stunt Hanger, Stuka Stunt and Brotherhood Of The Ring websites trying to acquaint myself as to the proper way to try and do things. Although I may not do it that way Lol!

So I thought I would ask that you point out my mistakes and give me viable suggestions on the way to proceed through this bash! I know that will be hard to do but give it a try anyway  ;D

As far as the power plant is concerned I'm starting out with the Fox 35 just to expirence the whole fox love that the world has to offer then probably removing it after I do that. Im going to run some engines I have just to get the expirence of doing so and to see what I like or don't like. This is all in good fun of course as I think I know what I'd really like but can't buy them anymore. PA. I have some Brodak 40's (3) of which run awesome right out of the box after break in of course. Frankly when I see people say they have a hard time with them I can't understand why I think there awesome.  (thats in my Inexperienced world of course)

I have a couple EVO .36's and a 60.  Some electric stuff E-flight 25 and 32 etc....

After I finish the B-bash I bought an Cardinal 92 off ebay and I also have a couple Brodak kits. But before I build those I wanted something to make mistakes on so I didn't ruin those kits.

I have thought about it in the ways of Vintage vs Modern and have come up with what I think will be a cool Hybrid and have progressed quite a way through the build already but figure If I did something really dumb I could still fix it before painting it. Kinda where you guys come in.

I built the stab ,elevators, vertical fin and Rudder first in there normal fashion. Then I laminated the fuse doublers and prepared the cutout for a Fox .35. I also have read where moving the wing up 1" is a good idea to for heavier engines so i did that too. I also cut about 3/8" off the nose to use a 2" spinner instead of a 1 3/4"

To use the other engines I have I'll have to increase the length of the cutout for the other motors by about 1" to accommodate the longer engines. My fuse was warped so I thinned it carefully to remove the warp and it looks pretty good now.

The wing now is a whole different story and where I look for advice if need be.

The wing I rebuilt as a D-tube style wing with caps strips shear webbing and an adjustable lead out from an old airplane modified of course.

So I started by making a rib template that had been cut for sheeting all the way around the rib as the original only had it in the center section and made a whole new set of ribs.

I built the wing on my table which very flat and I have a piece of 1/2" glass thats 2'x4' I tack glued the main spar to the glass in several places with zap so I could pop it off later.

I added shear webbing and an extra light ply rib in the center to transfer loads to the fuse, Lightened somewhat of course. I used a bell crank from a crashed Vector I think or maybe my Hanger9 PT-19 and made new lead outs and modified the adj lead out to more match the spacing on the plans. I also built up the tips to accommodate the adj. L.O. and to make them just a little beefier and also give something for the covering to adhere to. I also replace all the pushrods with 4-40 ball links and carbon rods. Right now the wing with flaps is 206.8 grams. Thats no hinges or pushrod to flaps from BC. 7.2 oz's?

So I guess my comments/questions are;

A: Did I do myself any favors or did I just make the plane heavy? I see some kits with these additions but maybe there bigger and can handle the weight better.

B: I'd like to try silk and dope as I have 5 yards of K&S silk and have never done it before and would like to try it "The Old Fashioned Way". I also have some Polyspan coming and a couple packages of medium silkspan from brodak. And some old yellow dingy stuff that came with the kit. I also bought some Nitrate Dope from Brodak as I understand this is how you start having read the Instructions posted in the finish section.

C: Is silk a bad way to do it as I see many doing it anyway but silk?

D: Is Butyrate dope a necessary evil in that it keeps shrinking or should at least the last one or two coats should be Buty?

I plan to paint the airplane with auto paints, primers, clears etc.. PPG.

Here are some pictures if I can get them to load after writing all this..... :P

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:33:59 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
Re: My Banshee Bash!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
Banshee!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:31:13 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »
Bash!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:33:22 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »
Wing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:36:32 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:38:26 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Nice work if a little weird on the photo perspective.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Got It!
Lol

tim
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:10:54 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
A:

Yes and no.  Modern engines can power heavier planes, so you have some leeway there.  The fuselage mods will make it handle better.  The wing mods will make it handle better, because the wing will be more rigid.  But the wing mods will make it far more susceptible to damage in moderate to severe crashes -- basically, crashes that would just pop the wing covering and loosen a few ribs in the original construction will pulverize the wing.

B:

Do you want to mess around, or do you want to learn to fly stunt?  If the former -- have fun, silk is kind of old-timish, but it should be nice.  If the latter, cover with 'coat and go practice.

C:

I think it's just 'cause it's spendy.

D:

I've never had a problem with Buteryate dope -- of course, it's been a long time since I used it, and my planes never lasted long enough for long-term shrinking to be a problem.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
A; Pulverize,, Descriptive but I like it! But point taken.

LOL!

B; Well I do have other planes to fly. Probably actually better flying also but yes I guess I'm screwing around a Little . Plus its 16 Degrees here in Winamac IN. and I'm having fun learning about something new to me. Also I hate plastic covering as it usually lifts some where at an inopportune time. Like when your half way through the day and want to fly more. I wanted a totally painted airframe which would theoretically be sealed from all the oil.

C: Yeah I got a pack of 5 one yard sections off of e-bay. was pricey. But fun costs money$$

D; Hoping it will last a little while but your probably right though.

So to the finishing guru's:

I'd like to use the carbon veil on the wood parts. Fuse, stab,fin, flaps....

E; Would it be typical practice to do the wing in silk and the other areas in carbon veil? in this particular instance?

And typically would you put silk on the fuse etc... if not using carbon or maybe use silkspan on the wood parts to save money? I'm looking for a hard to dent easy to repair/paint surface. Hope that makes sense.

(ie a totally sheeted plane you would cover the whole plane with carbon veil.)

Also what weight veil? 2/10ths 3/10ths?

I'm sure this seems like overkill but I want to gain experience with these materials while still having a nice Banshee.

I'm the type of guy who gets as much from building the plane as I do flying it. I'm 48 yrs old so I'll never be as good as some but better than others so this is just as enjoyable to me.

I feel this is the last bastian of hope for real modelers as I have seen impeccable workmanship on these pages and feel the art of designing, building and finishing has gone by the wayside. My hat is off to all of you and I look forward to meeting you somewhere someday.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Tim

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
Also should I put right thrust in the motor? If so how Much? Was thinking using the shims that are available.

Also should I Put right rudder in as the plans dictate? Ive seen and built models that say no right thrust and no right rudder.....

tim

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
Most serious stunt competitors don't use right rudder, or they use just a touch.  I generally try for somewhere between slightly to the right and exactly straight.  Ditto, for that matter, on the motor thrust line.

You do want to put in adjustable leadouts (and whack the clearance holes in the wing bigger).  There are lots of different ways to skin this cat - choose one and run with it, because getting the leadout position dialed in makes a huge difference.

Oh, I forgot to mention -- that Fox 35 is probably going to be too wimpy for the way you're building the plane.  But, if it's light enough, maybe not.  Modern engines are way better.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:49:52 AM »
Yeah The Fox is one I got off Ebay. It has L&S 1610 scribed on the bottom. Looks to have a new head, backplate and needle valve from a super tiger. Like I said I'm screwing around a little. Figured I'd burn a gallon of fuel and get the experience. Don't know much about this.  Would it have a rebalanced crank to or not necessarily?

Tim

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »
Well, I just had to go see where this Winamac IN was according to Yahoo maps.   Looks like you are in the heart of a great bunch of modelers if you want to drive.  I would think there would be a couple close to you.  Now the Fox .35 Stunt needs to be well broken in, other wise you will get vibrations.  What you have done so far looks great in order to have a straight and reliable flying plane.   Any way do the searches on here and keep us posted.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I suspect that "L&S" is really "L&J"...a Larry Foster engine. If so, it could have the "Zoot" crank, or not. See how it works! Stick to a wood prop...the RSM 10-6 would be where I'd start. They're not cheap, but they're a heck of a lot better than the wood props from the LHS. Better props and better trim means your plane will live longer.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »
So Motors that have been massaged like the L&J that I have here,  Are they more powerful, less powerful or the same as they were stock but much better as far as 4-2-4 coming on and off the power etc? Better balancing etc... I've read about the fox burp, is that cured also by these gentlemen or not so much?

Tim
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:54:12 PM by Tim Redelman »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
Yeah thats a J

James_Mynes

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 07:02:10 AM »
I wouldn't have maintained the lead out spacing as shown on the kit. Narrow spacing is more desirable, as the 'hang point' doesn't change as much when the load is shifted from one line to the other. If it's not too late, run your lead outs through the guide on your adjustable lead out slider, and remove the adapter you made.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
Nice build!  If you don't mind me adding a thought.  I never actually built a Banshee but I had friends who did and learned one sure thing about it.  It was designed entirely with the ultra light Fox .35 in mind,  before mufflers were common.  Hence the nose length is out there.  They can fly great when set up like that.  You mention later using other engines on it.  I think you'll find it will get real nose heavy with other engines.  I hate messing with a known design but I'm told many whacked up to two inches off the nose to use other engine/muffler combos.  I think you may have to decide about the engine and stick with it for this one airplane.  Maybe build two?  One set up both ways?  Have a good back up airplane?
If this is a learning airplane for you I'd get pretty simple on finish.  Keeps the weight down which is important on the power you have.  Also the airplane at this point should be a tool,  not a show piece.  If it is the later you will be afraid to push yourself when flying it.  Expect damage.  Silk on the wings is good for strength.  Forget carbon or covering the rest.  Just dope.  The covering means so much more dope and needless weight.  Save that for later.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:09:00 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
Consider this engine option for the Banshee.  Keep your eyes open for a good used DoubleStar40.  They are a copy of the Fox35, but with modern CNC machining and metallurgy, and weight the same as the Fox35.  Tom Dixon imports (Ukraine) them, kind of pricey for a new one (not sure if he has any right now) but I recently scored a good but used one for $100.  You can read more about them on Tom's site.  I recently bought a Banshee kit for mine. <=
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

steven yampolsky

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
Cool build. I've build a stock Banshee, crashed it and rebuilt based on suggestions of the late Larry Cunningham. Here's what I remember:

1) No need for adjustable leadouts. The model should balance such that the leadouts come out in the right place
2) Need to increase stab span by 1". This gives the model more authority.
3) Do not increase flap sizes. As a matter of fact, you need to make the outboard 3" of the flaps fixed.
4) The model can be powered by Fox 35 no problem, especially the L&J one. IF(not sure if you need to) you want to go for something stronger, put Brodak 40 in. It has the same weight and crank case width as Fox 35 so the balance will not change. The lug holes are almost identical to the Fox(they are spaced for OS 30S: another classic motor) too.
5) The wing area is a bit small so keep the speed up. 5.0 laps on 60 foot lines is appropriate.

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
Thanks Guys I really speciate your input. I do have a Brodak 40 and was thinking of using it too. I like the idea of shortening the flaps is that a universally accepted idea? I like the way it caps the flap at the tips.

The Double star 40, Is it produced by the same company as the B-40? they look as though they could be.

The weather here has been insane over the last couple days and I have to say Ive been surfing Stunt Hanger more that sanding LOL!

The fuse has a warp in it right behind the doublers and I have 5 reams of paper sitting on it trying to bend it the other way. It has straightened out some but do you think it will just flex back in time. It was a pretty hard bend right after the doublers. I was thinking of holding it above a pressure cooker nozzle and trying to steam it so it would take a better hold what do you think?

Tim

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »
 Very nice job so far. y1

As far as fixing the warped fuse you could get yourself a new piece of 1/2" and cut out a new one using the original for a pattern. I've also fixed the problem when sanding the taper toward the tail, if you do so. If the warp is not too bad sometimes you can just sand one side of the fuse taper more than the other, effectively "straightening" the warp.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »
Hi Tim
Great build so far on the banshee! Looks super!
My suggestion would be if you have a Brodak 40, use it. It's very user-friendly and has more power than either the Fox 35 or the double star 40. Needs quite a bit break in time, though.
On the flaps, only the outboard flap needs to be shortened. Usually 2-3 inches.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

steven yampolsky

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
The fuse has a warp in it right behind the doublers and I have 5 reams of paper sitting on it trying to bend it the other way. It has straightened out some but do you think it will just flex back in time. It was a pretty hard bend right after the doublers. I was thinking of holding it above a pressure cooker nozzle and trying to steam it so it would take a better hold what do you think?

Don't worry about the fuse warp so much. As long as the stab is parallel to the wing in both dimensions, the model will fly properly. Oh and stab is perpendicular to the stab and does not point inwards.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
Thanks Guys I really speciate your input. I do have a Brodak 40 and was thinking of using it too. I like the idea of shortening the flaps is that a universally accepted idea? I like the way it caps the flap at the tips.

The Double star 40, Is it produced by the same company as the B-40? they look as though they could be.

The weather here has been insane over the last couple days and I have to say Ive been surfing Stunt Hanger more that sanding LOL!

Tim

DoubleStar 40 is made by one of the former Russian Aerospace places, not sure if it's same one that makes Brodak's.  The DS40's were initially shipped with too small of a venturi, and when refitted with the right one the power is on par with most other 40's.  Check with Tom Dixon for further details and help with the set-up..  Note: there are 2 different DS40's.  I am talking about the first one which was a bushing engine and was a drop in replacement for the Fox35 at the same weight as the Fox.  He now has a newer version which is ball bearing, weighs around 8oz with power of a Tigre46.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
DoubleStar 40 is made by one of the former Russian Aerospace places, not sure if it's same one that makes Brodak's. 

My understanding is that it is.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

steven yampolsky

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »
My understanding is that it is.

Since no one mentioned it, I will: Last I checked, DS40 was double the price of a B40. it doesn't have twice amount of power or twice as good stunt qualities. Just sayin'  S?P

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
Hi Tim,next time you get a kit with a warped fuselage call the company,who sold the kit be it Sig or Brodak or someone else and I,m sure they will send out a new one. I had the same problem with a Sig Twister, called them up and had a new fuse. in 3 days. I tried for a week to get the bend out with no luck. I tried steam, ammonia water with books, back bending etc. So after wasting all that time one phone all got me a new fuselage.

Rich

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
I use silk n dope exclusively.

Buy the silk (5 mm) and dye from Dharma off the net.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-5mm.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Get gallons of Randolph dope and thinner from an airport store.

When done in bulk this is both better and less expensive than other covering.  Hobby shop pricing of silk and dope is prohibitive.
Paul Smith

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
Since no one mentioned it, I will: Last I checked, DS40 was double the price of a B40. it doesn't have twice amount of power or twice as good stunt qualities. Just sayin'  S?P
I had suggested a used DS40 because I thought it was significantly lighter than the B40, and was the only option as a direct replacement for the Fox35.  But I was wrong, I just weighted all three engines:
DS40     6.6
Fox35    6.7
B40       6.8
So I agree the B40 is the best bang for the buck.  I had one in a NoblerARF for over 100 flights.  It had a great stunt run.  I used a RSM 10-6 and on a calm day I could run it on the rich side and fly the pattern at 5.5sec laps.   #^
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

steven yampolsky

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
So I agree the B40 is the best bang for the buck.  I had one in a NoblerARF for over 100 flights.  It had a great stunt run.  I used a RSM 10-6 and on a calm day I could run it on the rich side and fly the pattern at 5.5sec laps.   #^

Try a low pitch prop and you will be in for a BIG surprise. Best prop for a B40 is definitely the Thunder Tiger 11x4.5. The next best thing is APC 10.5x4.5.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
Try a low pitch prop and you will be in for a BIG surprise. Best prop for a B40 is definitely the Thunder Tiger 11x4.5. The next best thing is APC 10.5x4.5.

Also the Bolly Clubman 10.5x5. But they're out of production.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
I was wrong (again) about the RSM 10-6 prop, that was another set-up I was thinking about. 
My Nobler/B40 had a ZingerPro 11-5 trimmed down to 10.75.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:38 AM »
I've been running the 10x5 and 11x5 BY&O props and have recently picked up some of the APC 10.5x 4.5 props and some of the 11x4.5 Thunder Tiger props. Probably just going to go with the B-40 on the Banshee. I emailed Brodak and they said they might have some new ones in as early as this spring. I have a few of them now and there just easy for me to run. Cant wait for summer...as far as increasing the span on the stab Steve.... Is that a must do if so I may make it out of 3/16 to make hinging easier? I also thought to modify the rudder....a little more sv style. I know putting a dress on a pig.......

Allen, thanks for your input, you and Randy Powell have inspired me to build a Ringmaster Deluxe after the Banshee. Yours as well as Randy's is a beautiful build and I'm wondering what your opinion of its flying qualities are? I've seen the original ringmaster my whole life and just don't care for it although I know its a classic. The RMD is just an awesome substitution IMHO.

Tim

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
Allen, thanks for your input, you and Randy Powell have inspired me to build a Ringmaster Deluxe after the Banshee. Yours as well as Randy's is a beautiful build and I'm wondering what your opinion of its flying qualities are? I've seen the original ringmaster my whole life and just don't care for it although I know its a classic. The RMD is just an awesome substitution IMHO.
Tim
The RMD is a fully competitive pattern design, as good as any profile out there.  In a difference class from the original S-1, its much larger (~620sq.in.), has flaps, and uses engines in the .40-.46 range (with or w/o pipe).  Been flying mine for 3 years now in the Profile event. Really like it, its been a fun plane for me.  Mine weights 48oz and it works well with an AeroTiger36 on 63ft lines.  Get plans & laser rib set from Pat Johnston.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

steven yampolsky

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
stab Steve.... Is that a must do if so I may make it out of 3/16 to make hinging easier? I also thought to modify the rudder....a little more sv style. I know putting a dress on a pig.......

I made mine out of 1/4"x3"x36" sheet. It's stiffer.

Offline Paul Gittel

• New Pilot
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 03:00:23 AM »
Looks like you're doing fine with your Banshee and getting lots of sound answers and advice. Attached, a picture of me with my scratch built and much modified Banshee based on the SIG plans. My ribs were done like yours to allow for 1/16TH leading edge balsa sheeting back to the spars and for the open bay ribs to have cap strips. Fuselage is one inch shorter than a stock Banshee. Flaps have greater root chord and taper and stab/elevator are thicker at 3/8Th's and larger than stock. I added Adjustable lead outs, tip & weight features. Placed the pushrod exit on the inboard side to avoid engine exhaust. Added a nice piece of 3/8TH balsa on the inboard side from the added nose ring back  to near the wing's high point and sanded it all into a nice smooth blend. The nose was glassed with SIG Light Weight fiberglass back to the high point. Power will be an old Fox.36 I put in a stock kit built SIG Twister when I was a kid, bought and built back in the later '70's, when SIG had those cool Full Page, all Control Line, advertisements in FLYING MODELS where you could get a SIG C/L kit and engine combo deal. Lew Woolard has since reworked the Fox.36. My Banshee has now been covered in silkspan and is awaiting color doping. Have lots of fun and enjoy your Banshee. Paul

James_Mynes

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 05:02:50 AM »
That Banshee looks might fine, Paul. I had one as a teenager, it was my best flying plane, followed closely by a Midwest Magician. I have a Banshee kit on the shelf, gotta get it built!

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:24 AM »
That looks beautiful Paul! I've been kinda busy through the holidays and have mine weighted down to try and bend?? Warp?? whatever the fuse back into shape. I really don't want to make a new one. I'll probably just make sure the wings stab and rudder line up as best I can and just get er done! I like the 3/8 you added to the fuse side. I was going to do that also. I also was going to use a 2" spinner and a spinner ring. I like the way that looks. Never really noticed that until I had a Cardinal and since I have noticed it a lot more. Don't know if that's something guys have always done or a more recent addition/idea. Looks like you made a new stab out of 1/4"? I was gonna use 3/16 so it would be easier to hinge with some Dubro pinned hinges.

Another question I have is a lot of times I see where the elevator is thinner then the stab. Is that for some aerodynamic reason or just to save weight or some other reason. Probably a dumb question but....

Tim

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 12:34:39 AM »
Attached, a picture of me with my scratch built and much modified Banshee based on the SIG plans.

Nice looking Banshee Paul, sounds like some positive mods too. Please keep us posted as you get it finished up.

You guys are making me want to pop open my Banshee kit, I've got a couple others to get finished in front of it though.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Richard Koehler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
I now have two Banshees.  My first built box stock with Sig Coverall and dope, has a Double Star 40 and required almost 2 OZ of lead in the tail. It still came out at 40 oz and flies pretty well.  My second has the nose cut down 2 inches, uses an EVO-40 for power, and was finished with rustoleum and ultracoat and it flies even better.  Yours looks great.  What kind of finish are you planning?

Offline Paul Gittel

• New Pilot
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
Thanks Richard. I am going to use color dope for the finish on my scratch built Banshee. It will have a Fox.36 up front. I do have a Double Star .40 that is going into a scratch built Oriental though. I plan on silkspan and dope for the Oriental as well. What prop are you running on your Double Star.40? All the best. Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here