News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mr. Mulligan kit  (Read 749 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mr. Mulligan kit
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »
I just got an old Sterling Mr Mulligan c/l kit. It has a 32 " wingspan.I built one 30 yrs ago and cannot remember the control line length.Also, would a Brodak 25 be enough power? I want to get this right before flight.The original one crashed immediately because of some very stupid mistakes on my part..don't want that to happen again.....thanks, Bob

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
Re: Mr. Mulligan kit
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:03:37 PM »
Hi Bob,

About two years ago my cousin built one. It had an L.A. 15 in the nose which was way under powered! It really didn't even get airborn.

He was going to switch to the L.A. 25 but never got around to it.
I believe the lines that were used were about 55' the same length used on his all-american with an L.A. 25.

Hope this helps
                                                 -Steve
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »
Hi Bob,

The B-25 should be ok as long as all you are going to do is sport flying with it.  Of course, i don't know for sure how much "stunting" it would do anyway!  Try to keep it fairly light.

.012s seem to be legal now for a .25 so I would use them.  But, it won't hurt to use .015s.   '57 eye to eye or so is where I would start.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:40:08 PM »
I have reengineered the fuselage and wing so that my projected weight will be about 18 oz with a Fox 35 for Old Time. It won't do very well, I'm sure, but it'll be unique.
I plan on 58 to 60 feet .015's with the hot rod Fox on 15/25/3 fuel.

If the 25 is used I think some .012's at 55 feet as suggested above would be about right. I'm sure the 36 oz plus, original type construction model with this engine and lines it might be OK for insides.

Chris...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »
With the B.25, I would worry more about it being seriously tailheavy. My oldest brother built a Berkley C-195 (I think that's right, kinda like the Mulligan), back in the early '50's. One try at an inside loop tore the wing off, and the whole thing was scrapped. Later, a Sterling Polish Fighter with O&R 33 fared better, as there was no attempt to loop it. Good thing, as it was VERY heavy.  I'd consider a .40LA, Magnum .36 or TT .36, and in this case, I believe I'd lean toward the TT.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here