News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mop and Glow Wax  (Read 896 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mop and Glow Wax
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
Hi guys, have any of you tried mop and glow wax to apply silkspan. Its a lot cheaper than dope and works very well. Use it the same way you do dope to attach the silkspan and paint with the mop and glow wax. Wait about three w
eeks and than use dope or paint to finish plane. Have a great day, Gary (don't let your wife know what your using, she might shot ya if she catches you in her stuff.)
Gary Anderson

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mop and Glow Wax
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:39:25 AM »
Is there any advantage other than the cost? I'd rather not have to wait three weeks to apply dope. Dope isn't that expensive.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:03:44 AM »
and further, I have a problem painting over anything that has "wax" in the name, seems to me an invitation for a disastor
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:30 AM »
Sort of a variation of the Minwax Polycrylic method and it probably sands better than Polycrylic. Most of these new floor waxes are acrylics and contain no wax. Acrylics are typically harder and less flexible than urethanes so they sand better. I've been experimenting with acrylics as bases and like them better than urethanes for that reason. Most of the acrylics I've tried give similar results. Nothing has jumped out as better than the others.

Not a bad idea, I'll have to add it to the experiment pile.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »
I'm flummoxed. I like the idea of trying new stuff, but I'm shocked and amazed that anybody would even try a product so out of the box. The wait is a disadvantage, of course. Keep up the good work!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
Hi guys, this isn't new. One of our People Church Fliers, told us this is all they had to work with when they where young. I just though it was one of them stories, until one of our fliers tried it. Can't believe how tight the silkspan is and what a nice shine. Don't know if its fuel proof or what happens with the next step. I'm just waiting to see the finish product. I just threw this subject out there to see if anyone else has done this and to try and get more information. Its a lot easier to get mop and glow wax around Fresno than it is dope. Love to hear from anyone that has used this process. Thank you Gary
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here