News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:43:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metal laser cutting  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Metal laser cutting
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Anyone out there have any connections for getting some metal laser cutting done?  I have some parts I'd like to get cut, but most places don't want to do small jobs at a cost that makes it reasonable.  Any help wpould be appreciated.  I can supply the DXF file for the job.
Alan Resinger

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
Re: Metal laser cutting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
I would suggest finding some one with a plasma cutter.  There should be a bunch of shops in your area that would  do one offs.  Plasma cutting puts little very heat in the metal.  It is quick easy and cheap.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
Sleepy,
Thanks for the reply, but I need to get some small parts cut and some of the cutting has small holes to be cut.  Laser is the only thing that will do the detail I need done.
Alan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
Hi Alan,

If you don't mind me asking, what are the parts for?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
Sleepy,
Thanks for the reply, but I need to get some small parts cut and some of the cutting has small holes to be cut.  Laser is the only thing that will do the detail I need done.
Alan

On the net, one never knows how much others may know...

I've mentioned laser cutting of flat metal parts before to my mechanical engineering friends and been told that plasma, water jet, and various other technologies are all viable alternatives, depending on what you want.  Apparently laser cutting is viewed as somewhat passe for cutting metal these days.  Assuming that you don't already know all this stuff, there's probably a slew of sites out there that give the pros and cons of each one.

You might try some of the guys that laser cut balsa -- they'll have machines set up for the opposite end of the power spectrum from what you need, but assuming that this is for model use they'll at least be interested in doing small lots for model stuff.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
Bill,
I needed to get some parts cut for some special control horns and some prototype parts for some handles.  Some parts out of mild steel and some parts out of stainless.  I luckily found a guy that will cut them for me if I don't mind a wait.  I'm waiting.
Alan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »
Bill,
I needed to get some parts cut for some special control horns and some prototype parts for some handles.  Some parts out of mild steel and some parts out of stainless.  I luckily found a guy that will cut them for me if I don't mind a wait.  I'm waiting.
Alan

Thanks, Alan!  I was wondering about a local guy, but he is no longer working.  I just found out that Medical problems have shut down his shop.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here