News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making tip weights.  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Making tip weights.
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
I bought a Pietta copy of the 1858 Remington New Army revolver several years ago. The other day I ordered a conversion cylinder for it in .45 long colt. Now I have a bunch of Speer .451 round ball ammo. I put one ball in a vise and squished it down to 5/32 thick. Will make a good tip weight at 0.3 ounces each. Less when I drill a hole for the bolt. The diameter expands to .700.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Making tip weights.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
1/4" washers fit nicely into a 1" square box, and are much more convenient.  If you have the room, you don't need the heaviest metal around.

I'd save the ball ammo for remelting, or give it to a friend who needs some lead.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »
Every so often, I dig out spent .22 slugs out of the dirt backstop in my front yard.  The weight adds up quickly.  I have melted them down, and I have used pieces for wingtip weight.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
I use a round tube with a threaded plug. I use chunks of 1/4" steel, cut to lengths for various weights. When I'm home, I'll post a picture. Very clean and works well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
I have a roll of 1/4 lead wire.  I cut off the needed length and then pound it flat with a hammer.     

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 06:30:26 AM »
I have a roll of 1/4 lead wire.  I cut off the needed length and then pound it flat with a hammer.   

Where would someone find something like that? I would like to find it in flat bars or like a tape to cut into lengths for this kind of stuff and balance weight for free flight stuff. The hobby shop I was working part tie at used to carry sheet lead in small packages in the model railroad section for weighting down rail cars and such. A 1/4" round material could be pounded flat also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
Dan,
You can get the flat bar lead from an auto body supply shop they use it for large fill jobs. The tape style you can get a golf shops they us it to balance golf clubs.

Perry,
If you can find a length of tubing that the balls fit in without banging around you could use that with the load end pointing forward mounted to the wing tip rib, use cotton packing to keep them from rolling around and a clay plug to keep them from falling out. Or just do it as you suggested and secure them in a standard weight box.

Best,   DennisT

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:06:09 AM »
    Where would someone find something like that? I would like to find it in flat bars or like a tape to cut into lengths for this kind of stuff and balance weight for free flight stuff. The hobby shop I was working part tie at used to carry sheet lead in small packages in the model railroad section for weighting down rail cars and such. A 1/4" round material could be pounded flat also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Where else :)
Mcmaster Carr has lead wire, sheet, bar, tape and shot.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

How about a roll of solder Dan? 

Jerry

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
I used 1/16" sheet lead for model trains to line the walls of my tip weight boxes (1" x 1" with a center bolt) for the base weight then used buckshot and a soft foam rubber insert to hold it all in place.  Probably easier to just make a bigger box and skip the sheet stuff.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 06:09:09 PM »
How about a roll of solder Dan? 

Jerry

Solder isn't that dense. it's alloyed with tin, I think. I would like to find something that I can wrap in a U shape around the nose of a glider, but not be too big. I have been building some Thornburg replica Interceptor catapult gliders and need 7 to 9 grams for a nose weight. I took a 1/4 ounce piece of those stick on weights and pounded it into what I needed for the first one to test things, but that takes longer than you may think. I would like to walk in some place and look at stuff in my hand, and not buy sight unseen. I have been checking out the golf/tennis racket weights on line, and I find that there is sheet lead used for fishing weights, and some for weighting down plants in the garden (that's a new one on me!) When things open back up I'll be able to hit several local sources. I'll check out the hardware store tomorrow. I have some sheet lead from the Hobby shop for model trains like Ken mentions, but it's pretty thin,and I would like to find something a bit thicker. On these Interceptor gliders I want to shape it in a U shape to grip the nose and tack in place with CA. Steel , like they used on factory made gliders, won't be heavy enough.
  Thanks f or the suggestions,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »
The Jive Combat Team uses gold.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
Dan...if you have an ACE , lowes or home depot or some variant of a real local hardware store....cruise the roofing tin and flashing section...there are pure lead extrusions in roofing called a boot to cover vents or electrical lead in pipe...12x 12" flat base with 4 to 12 inches of 2" to 4" diameter upper tube...relatively cheap item

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »
Dan...if you have an ACE , lowes or home depot or some variant of a real local hardware store....cruise the roofing tin and flashing section...there are pure lead extrusions in roofing called a boot to cover vents or electrical lead in pipe...12x 12" flat base with 4 to 12 inches of 2" to 4" diameter upper tube...relatively cheap item

Hi Fred;
    Thanks for the tip. That was kind of what i was looking for, something I could look at and hold in my hand and see if it fit my needs. I know I have some lead pipe that I saved from various demolitions at work and my Mom's house, but that stuff would be too thick. I'll hit the local hardware store as soon as practical, maybe early Monday morning.
   Thanks a lot!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »
Back in the day, we melted-down our old lead soldiers (which were painted with lead paint) in an iron pan heated by a charcoal grill inside the garage in winter.  We were about 14 at the time and from what I read on the internet, most of us are still alive.

The only downside is that we could have gotten good money for them on Ebay if we'd hoarded them.
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Willie Wylie gave me some of his chrome plating stuff before he died, and with it was a 25 pound spool of 1/4 lead wire that he used as an anode.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here