News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum Plus, Fitting up the pieces  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Magnum Plus, Fitting up the pieces
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

I don't build as fast as Sparky so bare with me on the progress.

The Magnum Plus was a collaboration between Randy Smith & Tom Dixon from YEARS ago.  I got the plans one year from Tom Dixon, when we were flying in Rome, Ga. I have built several Sig Magnums to date but after a freak crash of my latest and best Magnum before the 2002 NATS, I stopped. It kinda let the air out of my sails.

For you Magnum builders out there this is the upgrade that you have wanted. All the things that make a Magnum a good airplane has made her better. Taller Fuse IE more side area, stiffer fuse fore & aft of the wing, fuse landing gear.

As it sits now a weight of 26.7 ounces which is quite a difference from the all of the Sig Magnum's I have built over the years. I am shooting for a 55 ounce offering with carbon veil covering, rattle can primer, Brodak Dope and Auto clear.

Wish me luck.

A special Thanks to Robert, man what a great web site, very informative and NO BS
Thanks Again.

Mike Clark

The hole up front is filled by a T&L ST60 which will swing a 13/5 Zinger but after all the new stuff that I am trying on this ship, maybe a new three blade prop maybe in the works, any suggestions.

Mike Clark

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Magnum Plus, Fitting up the pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
Good flying plane, the Plus.  y1

Diseregard the engine question on the other post!  **) **)
I dearly loved my T&L ST 60!

Hope to meet you in person one day.  x:

P.S.  The DS 40 I got from you is working good!  Opened the stock venturi and have a total of three head shims.  10-1/2 X 5 wood prop made from something........... either a Zinger or a Rev Up surplus 12-5.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Magnum Plus, Fitting up the pieces
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:03:52 PM »
I also like the Magnum Plus. I'd say it's a highly underrated design. NW Skyraider's own Rod Claus (Kraut) is building one for a Fox Eagle .60 (a good combination). Mine is ex-Dirt, and has a detuned ST G.51 for power. I wish it had more suds, but it does fly well. It's 62 oz. It'll fly great with a ST .60 at under 60 oz.  8) Steve
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:36:59 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here