News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magician  (Read 2321 times)

Kirm Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
Magician
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »
A freind of mine is building a Walter Umlund Magician and when he is done he was going to give me the plans to copy. Not knowing anything about this plane I would like to know if this plane is worthy of my time to build. He (my freind) said that he is going to put a FP40 in his. Any info as far as how it flies and some setups would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kirm Dog

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Magician
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:39:01 PM »
I scratch built a Midwest version with flaps, and flew it for several years. Fox 35, 10-6 Y&O prop, weight 35oz. Great flying plane. One of the best flyer's I have built. I probably flew it more than any other plane also, because it was so much fun. I built it exactly like the plan. No changes. I will build another.
Jim Kraft

Kirm Dog

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:40:12 AM »
Cyclone;
  The flaps on my freinds kit look to be only 1/16 balsa. Was it the same on yours and if so did you go with cloth hinges or some other design? I also have a FP 20 NIB that I've had for years and was wondering if this would be enough power for the Magician.

Thanks
Kirm Dog

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:40:26 AM »
The flaps and trailing edge on my Magician plans are 1/8". I plan to modify mine to make them 3/16". I had 1/8" trailing edge and flaps on my Fancy Pants and had goodly amount of warp and it was flimsy.
I don't plan on flyingit in a contest so the modification is for my flying pleasure.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:11:16 PM by highflyinguy »
Jerry Bohn

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:57:25 PM »
Hi Kirm Dog; The Midwest Magician is slightly larger than the Umland original. The Midwest version has a 49" span, and 1/8" flaps and stab-elevator. And yes; I use cloth hinges full span on flaps and elevator. On the last rebuild on mine I did go to 3/16" on flaps and stab-elevator. It kind of depends on how stiff of wood you have.  An FP 20 might work OK on the smaller Umland original with fixed flaps, and a light plane, 56' lines.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 06:16:11 PM »
Kirm, Just a suggestion- you might want to post a question like this in the building section of the forum. I think you might get more replys there.
I do think you got adaquate information on this post.
Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here