News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lusterkote  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
Lusterkote
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »
I posted on that other site but I am not getting the answer I am looking for.

I am just about ready to spray my Brodak Cardinal.  I covered it with 02 carbon and clear coated it with about 6 coats of Brodak clear dope.  I have one can of blue and one silver Lusterkote. 
What I want to know is can I spray it on the Brodak dope or do I need to use Lusterkote primer first?

Thanks

Jay

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:02:49 AM by RC Storick »
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Lusterkote
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:06:09 PM »
You should be able to paint luster coat over dope. Dope is toluene based and luster is enamel.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:55:47 AM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Kirm Dog

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:49:06 AM »
Is there any reason why this stuff never came out in pints so that we could load up our spray guns? Lustercoat is fuel proof and seems to cover very well but I don't like the thought of the cheap rattle cans and plastic nozzles. I would think that they would sell more if it came with other options as to how to apply it.

Kirm Dog

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:56:31 PM »
Just got finished laying down the first coat of blue.  Looking really good right now.  Will see how it comes out when I do the silver.

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »
Jay,
Keep us posted on your progress. I'm interested because I'd like to use this on my next build. Thanks.
Dennis
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my Cardinal in color.  I still need to clear coat it, but I am happy with the results.  The blue went on prett good.  The silver is another story.  Flows really nice, but will run as well.
Any tips on how to break down the ridge between the colors?  I used a credit card but it is still high.

Jay
Albert Einstein

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 01:54:35 AM »
The only problem I've had is the running. I'm sure thats operator error, not shaken enough and to close.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 07:34:50 AM »
Maybe so but the silver is a lot different than the blue.  It flows a lot faster.  Looks like it is thinner.  I followed all the directions with the shaking and warming the can before I sprayed. 

Jay
Albert Einstein

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:42:24 AM »
Maybe so but the silver is a lot different than the blue.  It flows a lot faster.  Looks like it is thinner.  I followed all the directions with the shaking and warming the can before I sprayed. 

Jay

Jay, try holding the can a few inches further back, not alot, but to say 8-9 inches, and move the can parallell with the airplane surface faster. That is, dont stay in one spot as long as you have been. you will have to build up several coats to get coverage. Also, a lt gray primer as a base coat would help keep the number of coats down and still give good coverage.

Cool Cardinal, see you soon

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 08:49:30 AM »
Thanks Greg, but I did spray about 6 to 8" away.  Also I was using a nice sweeping motion while spraying.  When you get a can of silver you will notice that it is not the same as the other colors.  It flows great from the can onto the plane.  It's just different.

Jay
Albert Einstein

Offline HemiGTX

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 10:57:40 PM »
I recently used lusterkote (am I the only one who feels that marketing people insult our intelligence??) on a model and found that the silver was easy to run as well.  The trick is to hold the can every bit of 12" away from the model and dust it on in VERY light coats.  Came out great.  That said, I don't think I will buy any more of the stuff.  Easier to use a paint gun than get a decent job with spray bombs.

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »
What do you have to spray on after you use these paints
Steve Adams

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 07:18:31 PM »
I used 2 cans of the Lusterkote clear on mines.  It too ran in a few places.  One thing I learned is you need lots of lighting.  Watch the paint going on.  It is a little rough as I did not sand between coats.  I am now in the market for the wax Dirty Dan was talking about.  Not too many places carry it around here.  Maguire Cleaner and Swirl remover is what he recommends.
Will show another pic when I get it buffed out.  I better hurry too since yesterday was the first day of spring and I don't have a new plane to fly.

Jay
Albert Einstein

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 07:24:58 AM »
(snip)
I am now in the market for the wax Dirty Dan was talking about.  Not too many places carry it around here.  Maguire Cleaner and Swirl remover is what he recommends.
(snip)
Jay

Jay, Auto Zone and Advance Auto carry it around here.  Wally World even has some of the Meguire's products in the auto section.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 07:00:46 PM »
I been to both Wally World and Auto Zone.  None of those places have what Dan the Dirt was talking about.  Johnny Paris recommended going to a paint supplier and checking what they have on the shelf.  Will do that real soon.

Thanks Bill

Jay
Albert Einstein

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here