News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:12:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leather Fillets  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Darren James

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Leather Fillets
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:07:47 PM »
I have some questions on leather fillets.

1. What kind of leather are they made from? I assume it is "veg tan" (not "chrome tan", as it forms and glues nicely. (Veg tan is the unfinished leather, chrome tan is the colored, softer stuff).

2. Are they a triangular cross section?

I ask because I do leather work and have lots of thick veg tan which can be cut to a triangular cross section to try out. I cut a sample (just under 1/2 across).  I understand one can order it from some tool making suppliers but I thought I would have a go at making my own

Thanks!

Darren
MAAC #22730

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Leather Fillets
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:45:21 PM »
I have some questions on leather fillets.

1. What kind of leather are they made from? I assume it is "veg tan" (not "chrome tan", as it forms and glues nicely. (Veg tan is the unfinished leather, chrome tan is the colored, softer stuff).

2. Are they a triangular cross section?

I ask because I do leather work and have lots of thick veg tan which can be cut to a triangular cross section to try out. I cut a sample (just under 1/2 across).  I understand one can order it from some tool making suppliers but I thought I would have a go at making my own

Thanks!

Darren
Are folks still using leather?  I haven't used them since the 60's.  Too heavy and too flexible.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:41 AM »
While going to college I also began an apprenticeship in a foundry pattern shop. So one of my jobs was to add fillets to the wood patterns. They were either wax or leather. I believe the leather fillets on stunt models are  the same as the pattern fillets. They are still used and available, see: https://www.freemansupply.com/products/foundry-tools-supplies/freeman-leather-fillets

In the catalog photos, you can see the fillet inner faces are slightly concave. The result is the finished fillet is radiused in shape and not triangular. Both the wax and leather were shaped with a polished steel ball ( like a ball bearing) welded to a steel handle. In either case, the ball was heated with an alcohol lamp and the fillet was burnished to shape. In our shop we used aliphatic glue on the leather. The fillet stock came in many sizes.

To finish the patterns, they were shellacked then lacquered.

Norm

Offline Darren James

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »
I will try this safety skiver knife- it has a radius built in.
MAAC #22730

Offline Darren James

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
I would order from Freeman but they have a $250 minimum order (for international, I am in Canada ☹). 

I found this place as well, which sells by the foot:  http://www.filletexpress.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

For now, I will try to make some.
MAAC #22730

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
Awhile back, one of the CL suppliers past away and his wife was selling fillet material. Maybe that rings a bell?

Norm

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 08:28:25 PM »
Bob Sawyer sold leather fillets in small quantities.  His widow is/was selling the inventory.  This e-mail is old, but hopefully OK

Estelle Sawyer  degs@earthlink.net
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »
This topic has come up before. I cannot see leather used as a fillet if it's intended where the wing meets the fuse. I go back to the late 50s as a youngster and have never seen it used even by the expert builders of the time. Was the fillet glued in place and then filled with a filler or covered with a fabric? Can anyone produce some photos?

Steve

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
I have been using leather fillets on many of my models since 1948, when I built two JC Yates "Madman" from kits.l  The kits supplied leather fillets.  I do not cover the fillets with silkspan or silk.  They accept all of the usual model finishes.

This is how the fillets look, just prior to covering.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »
Thanks Floyd, 

Seeing is believing, they actually don't look half bad.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here