News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leadout wire - Keeping the strands from unwrapping  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Leadout wire - Keeping the strands from unwrapping
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
I'm working with 1/2 a leadout wire.  It is unraveling where I cut it.  How do I prevent that?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Leadout wire - Keeping the strands from unwrapping
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
How are you cutting it?  If you're using diagonal cutters then you are doing unnecessary violence to both cable and cutters.

I use a cut-off wheel.  The strands will sproing out a bit, but can usually be twisted back into place fairly easily.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
When you cut it, makes sure you leave enough wire to do the ends.  After you cut it,  or even before you cut it, put a dab of thick CA where it is to be cut or where it has been cut.  That will keep it from unravelling until you are ready to finish the the ends,  Then cut off the excess with the CA on it.  It pays to "Plan ah e a d".  (We were advised of that somewhere recently.)

KT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
My wife and I lived in a house where they didn't plan a head.  It had to be stuck on the back later, with a 5' tall doorway.

(Of course, the house was from the late 1700's, so perhaps they had an excuse not to anticipate indoor plumbing).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »

Something else that might work is to wrap the lines with tape, then make your cut..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »
A good sharp pair of small cable cutters.  Not side cutters like we use for cutting wire.   But, even then I still have to twist the cable back into place once in a while.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here