News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Landing gear problems...  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Landing gear problems...
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
I've been flying my Nobler for awhile now, and having trouble with the landing gear.  The gear is bolted to the plywood former at the rear of the tank compartment, and exits through balsa at the bottom of the fuselage.  I fly off of grass 99% of the time, and the gear wire flexes and tears up the balsa at the exit point.  I've patched it back together once already, and added a layer of fiberglass cloth and epoxy to tie it all together.  The fix lasted less then a dozen flights.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem, so how does everyone else approach the problem? 

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
Re: Landing gear problems...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
I installed wing gear with a Gieseke style wheel pants.
Neal Beekman

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »
I gave that some thought, but I've got one complete Nobler, and another in the works, both with no provisions in the wing for a gear.  Also I'd worry that a wing mounted gear wouldn't be as strong as the fuselage mounted gear.  I thought about going from 1/8" wire to 5/32", but I'm not sure that would really make enough difference.  I've got the old gear and ply former out of the finished Nobler, and a new ply former ready to go back in but I don't want to start mixing epoxy till I've got a solution. 

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
I make the L/G opening oversize a bit, and fill the void with a (paintable) Silicone Sealant. Still have to do touchup occasionally, but no actual repair is required.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
my solution
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:49:03 AM »
Extend the plywood former through the balsa fuselage bottom, so that any flexing occurs outside.  It wouldn't take much, you could make it barely beyond flush with the outside surface. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I still haven't decided how I'm going to approach the problem, but I'm getting closer.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
Sounds like your gear may be too springy---and the field too rough.

Assuming you stick with the wire gear, perhaps you can come up with some extra cross-wire support ---sort of like what you see on a Piper Cub--between the wheel and the opposite gear leg.

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
My profile Nobler with wing landing gear & Gieseke wheel pants.
Neal Beekman

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »
Sounds like your gear may be too springy---and the field too rough.

Assuming you stick with the wire gear, perhaps you can come up with some extra cross-wire support ---sort of like what you see on a Piper Cub--between the wheel and the opposite gear leg.
I did that with one of my Ringmasters...but not across, I extended one wire each side forward to the motor mounts...but you cant do that[with a Nobler].....what you might try is a size larger wheels, and if weight is a problem...use the super light foam tires. The problem I have with grass and small wheels is that the grass grabs them...bigger wheels have a better chance at rolling the grass down. I know how sweet Noblers land, but on grass....I try to have a nose high attitude when I touch down. It may be hard to do with a nobler, because they land so sweet and level....but barring a complete gear replacement/re-design.....you are gonna hafta try to land a wee bit nose high. TJMHO ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:20:15 PM by John Stiles »
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »
Andrew,
I think one of the main problems with the ARF's is that the wire used to make the gear is too soft.We have started buying cold-rolled 1/8th wire frfom McMaster-Carr.It is the "good stuff" and makes strong gear.You can buy it in 36" length's online and have it shipped.We use two vise grip type pliers with the corners ground off to bend the wire.Works great.
Charlie Reeves did a write-up on the vise grip method recently in a magazine,I think it was Flying Models.
Good luck and have fun.......
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
You also may give these a look.  Ply gear designed by Bill Gruby.  These are very cooooool. H^^  Here's a link to the article he did.  http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/flightline/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1924&posts=20&start=1
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
 Glen --- sorry but I cannot take credit for designing the molded plywood landing gear. It was done by someone at Airfield models. I just reworked it a little for our needs at the "Brotherhood".

Andrew I do not think there is a way to use the molded gear on a Nobler short of fabricating it in the same shape as the dural gear. No sense in going to all the trouble of molding a gear if one is available already. Have you tried Randy Smith, maybe one of his CF gears will do.

With wire I would go with what Ray said, extend the bulkhead it is mounted to.

"Billy G"   H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here