News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lacquer thinner and butyrate dopr  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Superclown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Lacquer thinner and butyrate dopr
« on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:16 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the lacquer thinner that one can purchase at Wal-Mart or Lowe's, is compatible with butyrate dope?  I use it all the time with nitrate dope and have never had a problem.  Being cheap, err frugal, I would rather spend $11.00 for a gallon of lacquer thinner than $9.00 for a quart of butyrate thinner.

Thanks,
Henry
Henry
Superclown

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Lacquer thinner and butyrate dopr
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:55:38 PM »
I suggest you try a little with some butyrate and see if it works.  I tried cleaning some Aerogloss clear (said to be a butyrate) out of a spraygun with hardware store lacquer thinner and made cloudy jello.  Different brands and kinds.  Maybe someone can tell you a brand and kind which works.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »
I'd suggest that you not use "Brand X" thinner except to clean brushes and spray guns. The difficulty is that, even though a thinner appears to work fine now, problems may occur down the road with peeling or excessive hardening/crazing. Even some super-premium auto lacquer thinners don't work well, long-term, with our butyrate dopes, so price alone is not a reliable guideline.

The thinners sold by the manufacturer are formulated to work with the like-branded dopes, and even this has created problems with some brands. One problem I've heard of with SIG dopes is that they use the same thinner for both Nitrate and Butyrate dope, with the result that neither dope receives its ideal mix.

Of course, if you were building conbat planes whose lifespan might be measured in hours (or minutes), my suggestion is probably moot.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 09:32:22 PM »
Sorry but I cant let this go. I paint every day, (restoration on automobiles) I cannot reccomend strongly enough to use the thinner that the dope manufacurer recomends. To use anything else for applying dope, or any paint for that matter, is asking for trouble. It will drastically effect dry times, flow out, and most importantly adhesion. Please, unless you have experience and know otherwise, heck even if you do, Use the suggested thinner ONLY! I know there are people out there that get away with using different things, but it is a crap shoot at best. Keep in mind how many hours you have invested in this airframe, is it worth saving 10 or 15 bucks to risk the most important part of the finish, that being using the proper product?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:36:09 PM »
I cannot reccomend strongly enough to use the thinner that the dope manufacurer recomends. To use anything else for applying dope, or any paint for that matter, is asking for trouble.

As an ex restorer I couldn't agree more. Sometimes the wrong thinner works "OK" but sometimes you have to start all over.

On a similar subject. I recently bought 5 gallon of gun cleaner. I am sure this is reprocessed lacquer thinner and what ever else happen to be in the mix. The smell of it doesn't even remotely resemble the odor of lacquer thinner and as it evaporates it really smells terrible. It only works fair. A bargain at 15 bucks for 5 gallon? Not really.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 12:41:46 AM »
typically gun cleaner solvent isnt laquer thinner, It tends to be more different solvents that dont evaporate as fast because of the application, gun cleaners continually pump fluid into atomized spray. laquer thinner would evaporate toot-sweet quick
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »
I have used Dupont 3608S lacquer thinner in Sig dope for years, and never had a problem. Works in nitrate and butyrate both. Some of my planes are 14 years old and the finishes are still good. This is what Windy U used before Brodak dope came along.
Jim Kraft

Offline Don Kirmess

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:28:10 AM »
The place I buy Dupont 3608S only charges about 12-13 dollars a gallon. Much to close to the 10-11 dollars that I would pay for cheap thinner at ACE or Wallmart to take a chance. For clean-up I've been using acetone for sprayguns and brushes and saving the 3608S for the meaningful stuff.

Don Kirmess

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:39:08 PM »
I tried several acrylic lacquer thinners in my Sig Dope.  Never the cheap kind, only the automotive grade.

I have had consistently and completely excellent results with Dupont 3608S (no other suffix, and DEFINITELY not "V") and none of the others.  And that is only in Sig and Randolph dope.  I do not have a place  locally to buy dope or dope thinner.  I use to be able to buy Randolph's at the local airport, but no longer.  This has been my standard for over 15 years, and have no qualms with it at all.  I tried three different PPG thinners and they didn't work at all to suit me.

I do completely understand what Mark is saying, and would actually agree with him.  But I have found that combination to work with out any negative side effects.  I cannot guarantee any other combinations.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:29:27 PM »
Agree with the 3608S thread! NO CHEEP S...! Not even for clean ups.

BTW 3602S is a slower drying 3608 that works well in the south, and in higher humidity.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »
I've been using 3608S for year with Brodak Dope with no complications.   My friend turn be on to 3602S instead.  It works much better in colder and humid evironment. but cost twice as much as 3608S which I get at a local auto paint store for $12/gal.   I use the 3608S on everything except the top clear coat.   It's just as cheap as Acetone, so I also use it to clean my brushes and spray equipment.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:10:23 AM by Aeromaniacs »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here