News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: handels  (Read 1242 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
handels
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
any body
 seen an article on building your own contol handle? and where to buy cable for it? ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: handels
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
Just PM Carl Shoup(he is a member in members section) and get a Fancher Handle Kit.  Unless he has raised the prices, it is $25.00 well spent.  It is also a hard point handle in which you have to be fairly exact on tying lines. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=16797.0

Leadout cable would be too light weight, I suppose.  Smallparts would have stainless cable, if you didn't mind getting way more than you needed: http://www.smallparts.com.  Ditto McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com.  Both a fine companies to order from.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
You can get the cable at Lowe's, Tony's, or a good boat equipment store.  You can buy the cable and swages there and use their tool to swage the ends right in the shop.  The only barrier I hit was the need for a good, sharp wire cutter.  Bring your own. 
Paul Smith

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »
any body
........................................and where to buy cable for it? ;D

Control Line Central or Tom Morris

R....
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
You can get the cable at Lowe's, Tony's, or a good boat equipment store.  (...).  The only barrier I hit was the need for a good, sharp wire cutter.  Bring your own. 
You don't want to cut cable with a wire cutter -- it doesn't cut the cable very well, and it gets chewed up by the strands of cable that are (or at least should be!) harder than the cutter.  You want a cable cutter.  It's basically an exceedingly stout, exceedingly short pair of shears made from really hard material.

(Note that I use a sacrificial pair of wire cutters -- I need to get a good one!).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
I have a small pair of bolt cutters that work pretty good on cable.

As someone mentioned, Tom Morris (and I would expect Jim Snelson at CLC, also) sells handle cable.

The *Ted Fancher* handle from Carl Shoup is outstanding if you want to try a Hard Point handle, which you should try. y1  He has them in two sizes, the small one is about the same size as the E-Z Hot Rock and the bigger is lke the old, larger, E-Z Just.

Bob Baron's handle was in an article back 25, or so, years ago, maybe longer.  it is *fully* adjustable, but I no longer know where that article is.  It take s bit of work to reproduce.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Are there any plans out there for the Fancher handle?  I'm on a strict "no buy stuff" diet, and it's more fun to build stuff anyway!  Looking at pictures it looks pretty easy to duplicate on my own, except that I can't tell what gauge metal he's using for the line mount plates and I'm not sure how far back they extend into the handle.
AMA 64232

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
I use sea fishing wire for my handle cable,(approx 150lbs breaking strain) comes with the tubing aswell.
Most tackle shops should sell  it,..
Phil

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »
I always find its easy to cut cable if I run solder on the cable at the point I need to cut it, the strands are then held together!

Cheers    Neville

P.S. I prefer Handels water music! ;D
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here