News:

• June 14, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Handle Plans - Free to down load  (Read 2012 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Handle Plans - Free to down load
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
Hey I got this email from Geoff Goodworth.

Seems him and Bigiron have come up with this drawing for a handle.
If it looks like it would work for you, down load a copy.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Re: Handle Plans - Free to down load
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
What is the earthing plate for?
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »

So the lightning strike can find its way through you? ~^ :X LL~
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Harleyman

• ACE
  • Captain
    • Circle Masters
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »

I bet it's to help keep down the ZAPPING effect of a build up of static Electricity.
Earthing Plate = Grounding Plate ????

Just my guess.  I've been zapped pretty good in a past Cheesehead Fly-In a few years back.  
Chris Sterner
AMA 1825
EAA 1429853
https://circlemasters.com

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
I remember that!
This year might be second or third week of July.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
So the lightning strike can find its way through you? ~^ :X LL~

It's valuable to be able to bleed off static electricity. That happens sometimes when it's humid or when there is a significant voltage gradient in the air.

Leaving the plate off won't help if you get hit by lightning!  It already jumped 2 miles through air, it's not going to have any problem going another 1/8" from the wire to your hand.

Brett

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
It attaches to the tin foil hat of course.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »
I had one of Marvin's handles and loved it.  I loaned it and an airplane to a friend several years ago.  Wish I had the handle back.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:56:49 PM »
I've been looking at the plans trying to figure out how the line locking mechanism works and can't quite figure it out.  Anyone able to help out there?  Its a neat, simple looking handle and if I can figure it out, I'll make two or three. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 12:35:13 AM »
Glenn, it's just the tight bends through the locking plate. I wouldn't try adjusting while flying but I'm told it works. However, as the drawing specifies, it's important to remove all the burrs from the holes in the locking plate so sharp edges do not cut the fine strands of the cable.

Also, it's important for the cable to be reasonably soft. I have a bicycle brake cable that is way too hard and springy. It will not bend through the locking plate.

And the earthing plate, Marvin insists that is is important—but I don't know about a tinfoil hat.  :## S?P

As some have noted here, they have been zapped. I've never heard of an instance where I fly in Sydney. There may have been one or two, but I don't know anybody that earths their handles.

One other issue. Marvin glues on the very back piece of 1/16" ply—the one with the little slot for the cable. This means that to replace the cable, you need to cut the piece off. I have been playing around with 4 small countersunk head wood screws which I think will work. I'm also trying some 5/16" thick clear pine for the sides. I don't know whether the pine will stand up to the side loads but they should not be very high and I think that, with ply through the core, it will be fine. The only advantage is a couple less pieces.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »
Hi Geoff....long time no hear from.  It just so happens that I have been zapped by some errant electrical currents while flying.  It happened about twenty years ago.  I had a home made handle that is primarily aluminum.  It was a case of low clouds, some very lite fog, and an idiot that insisted on flying in it! LL~ %^@  I don't believe I will do that again.  Not that I've actually learned my lesson, but rather, I don't see those conditions very often anymore! n~  Thanks for the insites on the handle and the answer to my question. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
I have several of the Bigiron handles.  They are basically his rendition of the old E-Z Just that some idiot put out of business because of lack of common sense.  Now where the cable comes out, metal eyelets will help with the wear of the wood.  After over two decades of using his handles I see no reason for it.  Thanks for the drawing. H^^

PS:After printing a copy and looking closer, the wear on the openings has already been taken care of.  jeh ~^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »
If I built one I would use the R/C 1/16 cable push pull rods AND the nylon tubing that comes with them to make the inside corner guide.  I'd leave about 1" of the nylon sticking out of the handle as a stress reliever.  That might be a little "springy" for some, but there are the Fancher type handles for those with the need to eliminate that.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »
  It's valuable to be able to bleed off static electricity. That happens sometimes when it's humid or when there is a significant voltage gradient in the air.

Leaving the plate off won't help if you get hit by lightning!  It already jumped 2 miles through air, it's not going to have any problem going another 1/8" from the wire to your hand.

Brett

I fully agree. It can save you when you drop to your knees and think, "Aw shucks, I shouldn't have made this flight with those storm clouds so close".

If you make another flight and get hit by lightning, it's probably the last bad decision you will ever make.  :-[

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here