News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K & S Silk question  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K & S Silk question
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
I am looking to use silk on my current build.  I looked over at Tower and they sell K&S silk.  Anybody have any experiance with it.  Also anybody have any other recommendation for the quality of silk we used back in the sixties.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K & S Silk question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
I remember we used silk back in the day on models that would not last long, like combat.  Price was $1.00 per square yard.  Used nylon on stunt and scale airplanes.  I used to have enough patience to cover with either and not have wrinkles.  Just enough dope to seal and go fly. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
Dharma.com..............good silk.............good prices.............check it out.........TDurrill    y1    #^    H^^ 

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
Campbell's Custom Kits, Peck Polymers, Micro X, Aerodyne, FAI supplies, and other freeflight sources have either Esaki silk, or very similar, in a variety of colors.  It is near $20 a yard.  If you amortize that over the thousand flights you will put on your airplane, it is not much.  The Dharma silk I have seen is considerably heavier, but people get good results with it.  I don't expect to run out of Esaki silk, some marked $1.95.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
I got this information from Larry Borden regarding some silk he gets at a place called Dharma Trading.  I ordered 5 yards at less than $3.00/yard plus shipping.  Larry seems to like it and for the price I am willing to give it a try.

Here is the complete link:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3586-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

larry borden

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
I have covered several airplanes with the silk and have had no problems. Still working on using up the 5 yards I purchased. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned, can't see paying 25 bucks a yard for basically the same stuff.

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
What mm (weight) silk are all of you using?  I have tried 4 and 5 mm and it takes about 10 coats of dope to get the silk tight and "filled" in.  I was thinking about trying perhaps 10mm or so assuming the extra weight would mean tighter weave.  If that is true, the very little added weight of 10mm vs the 5mm should be more than made up for by needing fewer coats of dope.

What do you all think?
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
I tried some of the heavier stuff and found it way too heavy for anything except front end reinforcement.  The 5.5 mm is OK for covering.
Paul Smith

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. 
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
I just received my Darma 5mm silk, it looks to have a denser weave than what I used as a kid, but with the tighter weave it should take less dope to seal.  I will be trying it soon possibly on my Continental, but I want to run some comparison test with Polyspan. I want to see how well it shrinks up and how much dope it takes to seal and when sealed how much it weights compared to polyspan.  But for the price it is a hard deal to beat.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Hi Ty,

How did you like the Polyspan on the I-Beamers? (not a hijack, just a "covering" question! LOL!!)  It is a lot faster to apply than silk, so I am considering that possibility.  I am still going to use the Dhrama Silk on the Airon.

Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
Hi Ty,

How did you like the Polyspan on the I-Beamers? (not a hijack, just a "covering" question! LOL!!)  It is a lot faster to apply than silk, so I am considering that possibility.  I am still going to use the Dhrama Silk on the Airon.

Bill

Used Poly-span on both the Staggerwing and Spifire by Sheeks.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:39:43 AM »
Used Poly-span on both the Staggerwing and Spifire by Sheeks.   H^^

Sounds like a winner to me, then, Doc! 

I've looked at the Sheeks Spitfire many, many times. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
Hello Folks,
  Re the problem of using 10 coats of dope to seal the silk. What I do is to cover the wings with mylar. The very, very, lightweight stuff that the free flight competition guys use. I thin down impact adhesive and paint that on the wings, then use a modelling iron to tack down the mylar and finally go over it, to shrink in place. This covering weighs next to nothing. Then cover with silk and use a single coat of dope (use the dope as an adhesive).
  You finish up with a very tight covering that imparts lots of rigidity to the wing structure and it is very lightweight indeed! The silk plus mylar is a LOT lighter than the silk and 10 coats of dope! The mylar seals the wing and the one coat of dope shrinks the silk.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here