News:

• May 26, 2024, 11:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobbico HobbyLite Filler  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hobbico HobbyLite Filler
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »

Has anybody used this filler, recommended in the LustreKote instructions?  If so, whadjuhthink?

Thanks,
Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Hobbico HobbyLite Filler
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
Only problem is, stuff often won't stick as well as you would want and the stuff never stops shrinking. Can be a paint, though it might work OK with Monokote.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:43:59 AM »
The times I've used it, it dried up in the jar and had to add water to get it at a good consistency. I just got some Micro fill and it seems better so far as it is not dried up and apply's with a razer blade just fine.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »
I've used this stuff with mixed feelings about its usefulness.  It is very soft and sands wonderfully.  In fact, I think it can be scraped off with a fingernail.  I still use it on occasions for very thin fillets and then only with a covering on glass and epoxy, and still, I've had bubbles form in the vicinity but unable to confirm that it is the Hobbylite.  Use with caution.

I'd give a shiny Penny to anyone who would post a fillet material which sands nearly as easily and strong enough to be safe.  I'm thinking of trying some experiments with a heavy dose of talc in a very thin epoxy.(Zap Finishing resin, one part A, one part B and three or four parts acetone).

Al

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »

Mike Scholtes,

You said you were pleased with the blue fillet material you showed us.  Is the Stinger the first plane you have used it on?  Would you like to post the name of the material and what you've learned about it so far? 

Thx,
Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
Why yes, Kim, I would be pleased to expound on the wonders of the blue stuff. This is a 2-part epoxy lightweight filler made for full-scale homebuilts, especially composite structures. The product name is SuperFil, made by Poly Fiber which I believe is a Stits division. It comes in two containers, one blue and one white. The two creamy parts are stirred together (in a separate container) to form a smooth paste that comes out light blue. It has a pot life of an hour officially but I find it starts to take a set at about 15 minutes in 60-degree weather. It tools easliy. I use sticks of 1/16 ply made with different radiuses to get the desired fillet cross section, then run a finger dipped in solvent (alcohol, acetone, thinner all work) along the fillet. Applied this way it requires hardly any sanding, but it does sand very easily for an epoxy product. I think the body of the material is mostly microballoons. Dries to sanding hardness in about 8 hours. This is a very superior product and the best fillet material I have tried. It is very light and does not shrink. It is made for a vibrating environment. And the icing on the cake? It costs $18.95 for about a quart, enough to build 100 models. And it can be shipped, because unlike dope it is not a "hazardous material." Got mine from Sacramento Sky Ranch in, you guessed it, Sacramento. Shipping adds about $8.

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
Absolutely! This is "the right stuff" for model work. Probably available from any aircraft finish supplier. Try polyfiber.com for locations around the world. I get it from Texair parts, about 6 miles from my home, less than $20.00.
Don

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 02:41:37 AM »
I am almost sure it is available from Aircraft Spruce also....

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »
Yes it is that's where I bought mine.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »
Spruce has it, dont be fooled though, when you pull the containers out of the shipping box, you will think they are empty, this stuff is pretty light! LL~ H^^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 04:50:41 PM »
There have been many posts and threads on Super Fil.  It is the very best fillet material I have ever used (with the possible exception of balsa fillets), and I don't think there is a material for fillets I haven't used (even leather!).  It is about the same price as Brodak expoilite, but you get two or three times the material (anyone know exactly?? I'm not near mine)

It applies easily, isn't real critical to mix ratios, sands very easily and is super light.  I cannot see any other material that matches up.  It IS made for full size aircraft, afterall!

The link to Aircraft Spruce has also been posted numerous times.  I don't have it handy righ tnow.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:04:27 PM »
That's where i ordered mine from yesterday.  "Aircraft Spruce".  $19.95 for a quart.

After trying several brands that never dried right or just did not have the strength
for a fillet .  I finally got smart and ordered the most talked about product being
used to build quality models.
It was made to be used on full size aircraft and is so light it can be used for
modeling.
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Here is the part number for SUPERFIL 09-28250.  Price is still $19.85 !

Got my QT. the other day.  This is without a doubt, the lightest and the easyest to work with filler, out there.  Try it ,you will not be disappointed. y1

REGARDS.   DAVE
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »
The times I've used it, it dried up in the jar and had to add water to get it at a good consistency. I just got some Micro fill and it seems better so far as it is not dried up and apply's with a razer blade just fine.

Lee,

I bought the "Micro-Fill" and after getting it home read the whole set of directions. At the very bottom in the Red Band in Black Letters is a note. It states --- "When applying Butyrate Dope over Micro Fill, filler must be thoroughly dry and sealed with any polyester resin or epoxy finishing resin prior to applying Butyrate Dope" What are you sealing it with? Seems like an awful lot of extra work?

"Billy G"   H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »
I broke away from dope finishing. I use Polycrylic from home Depot $16.00 a quart.
It allows me to apply primer and auto paint urethanes with clear coat in half the
time.  Theres a great finishing artical by Bradley Walker at Ultra Hobby. It was
taken from one of the great finishing pionneers Bill Wilson and brought up to date.

Minwax Polycrylic (PC) from Home Depot

00 or Medium Silkspan for covering

Lacquer or Urethane Primer

Urethane Base coat Paint

Urethane Clear

Thats it . Saves about $200.00 in Brodak products and a very long long long dope procedure.
But that's just me some people will never leave the old dope and tissue method....
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

Bryan,
For solid wood surfaces only, right?  No open bays.

Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
"But that's just me, some people will never leave the old dope and tissue method..."
Thank Goodness for that!  y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 02:35:12 AM »
I guess we're dinosaurs, Pete.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Hagler

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:49 AM »
Or Neanderthals. The wonderful, nostalgic smell of dope makes up for many of its shortcomings as a finishing system. I wish Georgia liked the smell of butyrate as much as I do!
64th in classic at VSCXX! And proud of it!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I can''t remember which issue it was, but, on one of Bob Hunts Stunt News Videos there was an article on making filets using balsa wood.  He started with shet wood the thickness of the width of the filet.  Then cut it to fit the outline of the wing or stab that needed a filet.  Then used dowel rods with sandpaper wrapped around them for making the concave surface of the filet.  It looked like a lot of work, but, the end result was fabulous on his planes.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
I can''t remember which issue it was, but, on one of Bob Hunts Stunt News Videos there was an article on making filets using balsa wood.  He started with shet wood the thickness of the width of the filet.  Then cut it to fit the outline of the wing or stab that needed a filet.  Then used dowel rods with sandpaper wrapped around them for making the concave surface of the filet.  It looked like a lot of work, but, the end result was fabulous on his planes.  Later,  DOC Holliday

Hi Doc,

You can also build up layers of thinner wood when using Ambroid, Elmer's Glue-All, Duco, etc which sand so easily.  Balsa fillets are pretty easy to do, but getting good wood to make them from is now even harder.  :'(
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here