News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: INTERESTED IN A MOTOR MOUNT SYSTEM THAT WOULD ACCOMODATE A VARIETY OF ENGINES  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Building a Riley Wooten Voodoo from plans. Plan on powering it with a  ST C 35. Thought it'd be neat to employ an engine mount system on this ship, that  would  say, also accommodate a Fox 36x.

I've got a few ideas rattling around inside my head, but would appreciate any and all photos/sketches with your ideas and comments, too.

Photos  don't have to be of a combat ship -  a profile would work.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
This is what I'm doing.  Bolt the bearers to the maple motor mounts, bolt the engine to the bearers.  When you change engines, make up a new pair of bearers.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Try this. It's a clamp mount system and my grandfather has used it on a couple of airplanes and it works well for trying different engines:

http://brodak.com/motor-mount-system.html
Matt Colan

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
This is what I'm doing.  Bolt the bearers to the maple motor mounts, bolt the engine to the bearers.  When you change engines, make up a new pair of bearers.

This is exactly what I do on virtually all my airplanes.

Pic below was for another reason ... but it shows the mount plates.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Frank, don't make the mistake of using 1/8th 6061 aluminum tapped for 4-40 on a smokin' combat motor. I've seen so many engines pull out or break across the bolt holes. Use 3/16ths and you're golden. Also be aware the hole closest to the leading edge will have more cantilever on it with this system so use something thicker for the bearer wood like 7/16ths x 1/2 maple.

You could also look at FAI style mounts that bolt on top and bottom but it would look less like a VooDoo without the cheek cowl.

MM

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Frank,
I agree with MM, I have used the system of using 1/8" steel drilled and taped then bolted to the mounts. However, the Brodak clamp mount was developed by Windy and used on 60's to 90's size engines in several ships that he reported worked well.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Frank,

This same setup came with the Pathfinder ARF I purchased.

I don't like it, but it hasn't given me any trouble with loose fasteners. I did balance the prop but have not really flown the model that often.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
 Thanks to those who replied. Actually, I'm familiar with all suggested  here so far and have used some of them at one time or another.
It's that out of the box , novel idea that I'm seeking . 

Thanks !

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Frank, I think the bolt holes on both of those motors are the same. If so, you could just find a spot where both motors will interchange.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Since not all motors are the same bearer spacing you could "hack the nose off" build up a bulkhead, use some type of threaded anchor such as T nuts, then use a spacer plate to mount a plastic or metal bulkhead mount, such as the RC guys typically use.  Engine change, take the whole mounting system off, put on new engine.

It might work out that enough mounts have the same hole spacing, but I don't think they do in my limited experience.

This could allow a Fox to McCoy type of change, instead of having to stay with a fixed case width.

Phil

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Since not all motors are the same bearer spacing you could "hack the nose off" build up a bulkhead, use some type of threaded anchor such as T nuts, then use a spacer plate to mount a plastic or metal bulkhead mount, such as the RC guys typically use.  Engine change, take the whole mounting system off, put on new engine.

It might work out that enough mounts have the same hole spacing, but I don't think they do in my limited experience.

This could allow a Fox to McCoy type of change, instead of having to stay with a fixed case width.

Phil

Adjustable nylon rc bulkhead mounts are available too. The mount screws to the bulkhead remain in the same location but the bearers are slotted to change engine width.  I use them up to 60 size engines and mount the engine 3 different ways. I've had no failures in 100s or maybe 1000s of rc flights and drilled the same mount for two different engines.

1. drill/tap for the engine screws - no nuts
2. drill and use a sheet metal screw
3. drill through and mount conventionally with screws and nuts.
Bill P.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Frank, I think the bolt holes on both of those motors are the same. If so, you could just find a spot where both motors will interchange.

Correct answer. Also Johnsons, if you're so inclined.  /DV Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here