News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-beam derivative  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I-beam derivative
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:08:08 AM »
I have built a couple of I-beamers except that instead of an I-beam, I used the same amount of wood to build a box spar tapered both ways.  I think it was much more rigid and stronger than a comparable I-beam.  I really like the I-beam and similar building methods.  Lots of fun.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: I-beam derivative
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:12:54 AM »
Hi Jim,

The "box" beam is a great idea and is stronger.  I haven't done one that way "yet", as I wasn't sure I could get it as light as a solid piece of wood when counting in the glue....... ???

The solid piece of 1/4" in a regular size I-Beam is plenty strong enough, but I do know the box would be even stronger and more twist resistant..  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:39:23 PM »
BOX BEAM ? Where have I heard that before? Oh yes, the Playboy kits have them! Much stronger and not much heavier. And they come prebuilt in the kits.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
look up the plans for the Moody Mooney.  Very innovative, with a thick wing and a huge box beam out of 1/16 in. balsa.  More work than I could imagine when I was a kid.
phil Cartier

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
Most of my planes are modified I-Beams. They have I-Beams that are actually built, a piece at a time, into the wing after the ribs are installed. It's a sort of Warren Truss based I-Beam. Some have partial sheeting, some not. It's an interesting process.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
look up the plans for the Moody Mooney.  Very innovative, with a thick wing and a huge box beam out of 1/16 in. balsa.  More work than I could imagine when I was a kid.

Phil,

Though the "Mooney" looks like an extremely interesting project, that "box spar" construction looks daunting to me, and I'm not a kid.

The small plans are difficult to read, so actual construction of the "box spar" is not clear.   Perhaps a full scale plan would make it obvious, but it looks like a very tricky build, that would require extreme care and workmanship.

Wouldn't it be interesting to get Al Rabe's opinion on just how viable a stunt ship the "Mooney" would make.   It certainly would be unique, and not easily confused with any other design.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here