News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holes in balsa  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Holes in balsa
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:57:57 PM »
How do you guys make those smooth, rounded, fuzz-free holes in your ribs?  Mine look like they are carved with a hatchet. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Alan Hahn

Re: Holes in balsa
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
I use a sharpened piece of brass tubing.I sharpen it by pulling a Xacto blade on the inside of the tubing. Sometimes I will cut a few teeth in the sharpened edge to let it cut faster. Does a really good job on cutting clean holes. I also use a template rib to center the cut in the same place on each rib. Otherwise you need some way to define the center of the hole.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »
I use a sharpened piece of brass tubing.I sharpen it by pulling a Xacto blade on the inside of the tubing. Sometimes I will cut a few teeth in the sharpened edge to let it cut faster. Does a really good job on cutting clean holes. I also use a template rib to center the cut in the same place on each rib. Otherwise you need some way to define the center of the hole.

Yep.

I also have an old golf club shaft that I cut off right below the first step down fromthe top..  That steel is VERY thin and will sharpen right up!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »
I actually have a chunk of 1/4" ID very, very thin wall steel tubing that I'v made a sort of dye cutter or punch out of. Sharpened up the same way with an exacto knife. Works very well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 08:35:40 PM »
I use brass tubing and water pipe copper tubing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:05:50 AM »
Bob Hunt, aka "Mr. Light", once mentioned that he had about 6 sharpened tubes to make lightening holes....he mentioned that he was considering offering them as a set....then he got a real job and I had to try to assembly an assortment myself...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »
Something I accidentally discovered is step drills will drill holes in balsa and aircraft ply without the tendency to tear like a standard bit will. They were very expensive but Harbor Freight has a 3 piece set on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91616

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:57:28 PM »
I have brass tubing of course, and I also have a step drill.  I'll try them both. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »
I use a "Forrester" bit. They come in different sizes and make nice holes, and if you want that perfessional look back drill them.
Larry  ::)

Eric Viglione

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »
Or, you could get a set of Ebay item number: 270005397243 (I am in no way affiliated with the seller, just a cool way to do it)

EricV

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »
Or, you could get a set of Ebay item number: 270005397243 (I am in no way affiliated with the seller, just a cool way to do it)

EricV

I've tried this technique, and it works pretty good.  I pirated a set of cork borers from the lab I work at.  They make a pretty clean cut, and it was easier than running down various bits of tubing to sharpen.....

Steve
Steve

Ed Rice

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »

I have been trying to think what they are called - just remembered!!

Cork Borers!!!

http://www.scienceartandmore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=271

Sharpener available too - probably 100's more other places

Cheers

Harry

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »
I have been using the brass tube with wood handles that TY described for years, I have also added other sizes when needed.

Of, course, now I use laser cut parts in most cases.
AMA 7544

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
I just did a set of ribs.

K&S 1/2" tubing, chucked in a 1/2" drill, sharpened with an X-Acto #11.

Taped together all 16 ribs and drilled the holes in a single pass (OK, 4 passes).  Two holes forward of the spar and two aft.  Connect the dots with a (new) #11.
Paul Smith

Eric Viglione

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »
To be fair to Steve Fitton, I had a little fun at his expense.  <=  >:D There's nothing new about making holes with brass tubing, we all do it for tank plumbing and such. He was doing the exhaust holes in his Avanti and was describing the pain of doing it with a Dremel and getting them round. Well, I finished an Avanti also recently, and told him I used brass tubing for even those large holes, went right through the plywood doublers fine, and I had the rings from the back end of the brass tubing in the palms of my hands to prove it! It was Steve that then had the the epiphany to use his Lab Rat knowledge and come up with the Cork Borers like I pointed out in the Ebay add. The handels on the Cork Borers make it a little easier on your palms too. So, kudo's to Steve on those.

And, just to add a little more to the discussion, I've used brass tubing in my drill before also, with a dowel shoved in the back where I chuck it in the drill to keep it from crushing the tube, with very good results. If you need really aggressive cutting, you can even nick up the brass tubing to get a serrated edge to cut faster, though not quite as clean of a cut. The tubing is soft, so use short lengths, only enough to drill the depth you need, and don't lean on the drill to hard.

Have fun boring holes in balsa & the sky!
EricV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here