News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heres how I did Checker Board Pattern  (Read 1100 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Heres how I did Checker Board Pattern
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »
I've gotten a lot of good advice here at the Stunt Hangar , but up till now I didn't have anything much to offer in how to tips.
The checkerboard pattern has been a perennial favorite in stunt plane paint schemes. A couple days ago I was painting a Black Hawk Models 1/2 A Basic Trainer. It's a little plane and a perfect place to try a checkerboard pattern.

Here is what I did to mask it for paint. I added the dark check pattern to an existing red background. To create the checks. I cut a 2" X6" strip of masking tape into one inch squares and then starting at the hinge line I layed those little blue squares down one at a time. It was short work . Pretty much like putting a tile floor in the bathroom.

EDIT--I got the colors wrong but you get the idea.......

Here is a picture of the results.
Frank Carlisle

Offline brucefinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Heres how I did Checker Board Pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:01:23 AM »
Frank, that's a pretty checkering job!  And a good technique.  I have always been curious on how to checker.  What is the process on something more difficult, for example the curving, flowing  checkers on wings or like Robert Storick's P-47 nose?  Same process?  Maybe Robert (or somebody else), can do a "how to" article.  I love the look but have no idea where to start.  Thanks to all, Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here