News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harvesting Klett Hinges  (Read 995 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Harvesting Klett Hinges
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
I just thought I'd share something I discovered using the ever so rare Klett hinges. With these hinges getting very rare to find I "harvested" the hinges from a recently unairworthy (crashed) stunter.
He's how I did it.
First off I glue all my hinges in with RC56 canopy glue. I removed the hinges from the balsa airframe using an #11 hobby blade, side cutters, pliers, etc.  This left a lot of balsa stuck to the hinge tabs.
I then put the batch in a microwave oven safe container with a cup or so of water and set the time to 4 minutes and "cooked" the batch on high setting.  I let them set for a few minutes to cool a bit and then simply peeled off the stuck on balsa/glue.  A quick wipe with a paper towel and they were "as new".  The stunter had "only" about 75 flights on it so I figured the hinges were in good shape.  I'm not sure how hinges from a stunter that has 1,000 flights on it would be.
I also thought boiling them couldn't hurt the base material.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Harvesting Klett Hinges
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »
Great idea Dave.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
 I can tell you what is different about them - the Kletts have the L-shaped pin that can be removed.
Dubros use a pin with swaged ends, that can't be removed. (You can cut it with side cutters, and replace it with an L-shaped one :) )
MAAC 8177

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
Can someone tell me why Klett hinges are any better than Dubro hinges.

Vastly more free, removable pins (so they can be discarded and a single long pin used), no flash straight out of the package. It takes about 5 minutes a piece to rework Du-Bro hinges to the same standard.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here