News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gluing LE sheeting  (Read 909 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Gluing LE sheeting
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
On my lastest build came up with a new way (for me anyway) to hold LE sheeting in place while gluing.  Works great because it puts pressure on the sheeting to get a good tight fit up against the LE on the wings that use a diamond shape LE stock.  No pins or tape required.  Just the weight of the aluminum channel is all thats needed.   This is for the joint at the edge of sheeting where it buts up against the LE.  I use wood glue, let it dry for about an hour, then spray a water mist on outside of sheeting only and its real easy to curve the sheet down to glue aft end to spar.  The aluminun "T" channel works good for lots of other gluing operations.  You can get them from any of the online woodworking suppliers.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
Re: Gluing LE sheeting
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »
Allen,

Clever idea.....I like it !!   Saves a lot of hustling around with pieces of masking tape, and makes a nice tight joint that should disappear when sanded.   What are the approximate dimensions on the aluminum "T-channel", just so I know what to look for?

You many 'go to the head of the class' for that idea.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
The aluminum T-tracks are typically 1/2 x 3/4.  
Rockler Woodworking is one of many sources:  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21967&rrt=1

The aluminum angle that its resting against is 1 x 2.5 x 1/8".   That should be a local hardware item.

I should have noted in original post that the typical diamond LE wing design uses a 1/4" balsa square and the sheeting lays on top of it.  In my case I replaced the 1/4" with a 3/8" square and the sheeting buts against the back of the LE square.
Thats why I had to come up with a method to provide a force downward at a 45° angle.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:13:53 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
Eliminates "the 10 finger trick" ...or "Damn, I glued my finger to the sheeting again!"

Neat idea!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here